DJI updates its GEO Zone system and removes Unlock requests and NFZs from its Fly Safe platform

A few members have recently reported that their DJI Fly app is missing various flight restrictions and zones that previously needed unlocking.

This ties in with a recent DJI Fly app update that stated:

Added support for manual import of dynamic safety database in the EASA member states and the UK to comply with local regulations related to unmanned aircraft.

Even our very own Drone Scene is showing far less data from DJI that it ever has done before:

DJI have stated:

Over to you for your thoughts on never having to request permission from DJI to fly your own drone ever again :smiley:

5 Likes

This is also timed nicely with CAA recommending back in October that people should not trust the DJI GEO zones, which we’ve been complaining about for the last six years :grimacing:

@Camera-On this is probably why those people you met said they didn’t see any restrictions on their DJI app.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about this… On one hand for the likes of all of us here who follow the rules and know the rules its fan fucking tastic news!

but then on the other hand, you’ve got the average joe who can now go to any high street store buy a drone and go and forfill their other hobby of plane spotting from a whole new vantage point…

personally I think every drone sold should have an information pack to go with it explaining or at least pointing the consumer in the right direction of the information needed to fly safely and responsibly.

Because lets face it common sense is lacking in todays world…

5 Likes

Further to:

It’ll be interesting to see if prisons re-appear in the DJI Fly app after 25th January :thinking:

Expect some CBS Arena shots from me soon :grin: As I’ve always used a simless drone phone unlocking geo zones was a huge pain in the ass for me so I’ve never bothered flying the Arena before but now with no unlock needed I should be able to fly it. :grin: :ok_hand:t2: Will mean googling the Coventry city fixtures though and getting football in my algorithm :face_vomiting:… oh well needs must :rofl:

2 Likes

What does this mean? I have the latest Fly update, do I need to do anything to get the new version of the safety database or will I already have it?

@pcaouolte Load up the fly app hit the 3 dots and scroll across to the about tab and make sure you update your FlySafe database :+1:t2: you will need to have the drone powered up as well.

2 Likes

My biggest concerns around this change come in two levels.

Firstly, drones represent an administrative burden on the CAA that’s by no means covered by Flyer IDs and Operator IDs. So, will they actually want to address the fine detail - or will they take the easy route and restrict drones on a more general basis … eg “Greater London”, cities, residential areas, parks, or whatever.

Secondly - if they veer toward large are restrictions … in the long term might this end up with a general ban of drones … limiting use to (professional?) usage on a case-by-case permit for a significant fee.

What I can’t see, unfortunately, is life becoming easier for we hobbyists.

1 Like

Really not sure this is a good idea.

Makes life easier, but at what price?

This will lead to remote id

@DeanoG60 For those of us that live within FRZs it’s great news. Now I only have to get ATC permission without worrying about DJI unlocks as well.

I agree with the info pack being included with every drone sold.

2 Likes

woooooo no unlock zone :grin: :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

@ianinlondon is already on the case!

Great video as always :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

Cheers, although I have to thank Mr @PingSpike for the heads up… Will be interesting to see if the CAA keep things up to date like Prisons, nuclear power stations and stadiums… Last thing we want is a mavic 3 stopping a televised football match…

1 Like

Oh. Too late… :rofl:

I’m keeping an eye on prisons, mainly due to it becoming a new UK law on 24th January:

It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the DJI databases update to match UK law. It’ll give us a good indication of things to come in the future.

1 Like

:wink: :rofl: Gotta make sure there’s some footy action in my shots! :rofl: obviously I joke, it’s to make sure that there isn’t a match on :grin:

So now we can fly Stanley Park Liverpool without needing two unlock codes. Previously needed one for Anfield Stadium and one for Goodson.
Happy Daze!