DJI X5S / Panasonic Lumix 14-42

I’m exploring the world of zoom lenses and thus far I’m loving this lens, my only issue is I need a CS to see clearly my composition. 35mm F/ length: 84, F/9, Ex 1/60, ISO 100. distance from the tree was about 50 feet. Sorry, it’s a jpeg @ 6MB. click the picture to expand.

Is there anyone using this lens with the X5S? I could do with some pointers, please.

ISO 100, F/11, Ex 1/60,
Altitude 400ft

1 Like

I think I can count on one hand the number of people here with an i2 mate :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Had to ask, you never know who is shy, or maybe there will be someone along soon; too bloody lonely :pensive:

1 Like

Let’s give some people a shout :slight_smile:

Pinging @Maredich @DroneUnit @Jcborden (you still around James???) and I’m pretty sure @SharkBait has an i2 too??

Hi @PingSpike, yes still around… just lol. Not flown for ages as kind of run out of local sights to film, then family life has taken over. However, I recently sold the Mavic Pro and have ordered the Mavic Pro 2.

Anyway onto the question, I had the Panasonic 14-42 with the X5S, but didn’t rate it highly due to lots of distortion. It would be great for inspections but personally I wouldn’t have used it for anything else.

I should be back soon with new vids ince the arrives :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh that’s good to know :slightly_smiling_face:

We look forward to it mate :+1:

1 Like

Are you still using the Panasonic Lumix 14-42 @Njoro?

I’ve been reading a lot of reviews about the Olympus 14-42 pancake MFT and the distortion it brings with it, and most people have since resorted to using two separate lenses (not to mention the balance issues too).

What lens(es) are you using these days?

I have the Leica 12-60 for my Lumix,
The Panasonic Pancake 14, 14-140 and 100-300 zooms.
Great lenses! … especially the 12-60.

(Edit: The 14-140 was better before the zoom internals became damaged - it still zooms, but one has to take it carefully past about 60mm. Repair parts more then a new lens.)

1 Like

I got a 45 mm which I’m yet to fully explore, the standard DJI 15 mm and the Olympus 14-42 and since I doubt I’ll be shooting any mega movies they are good enough for below £100 movie productions.:dizzy_face:

The 14-42 balances perfect with the balance rings installed and as for distortion, I can’t really see it as I tend to look at the whole scenery and not at individual pixels.

Knowing me if I start dissecting the the image it will cost me another fortune in the quest for the perfect lens, lenses are like a beautiful woman, everyone wants one but not everyone can afford one…

@PingSpike have you managed to get the X5?

1 Like

Not yet, I’m still window shopping :wink:

The balance comments I read elsewhere were with the pancake lens, I’m guessing because with the lens retracted vs extended it alters the centre of gravity somewhat.

Which wouldn’t be an issue on the Panasonic one you use I guess?

@OzoneVibe any distortion / fisheye issues to report when zoomed on those lenses there?

No distortion in the image — just to my bank balance when I got the Leica. :stuck_out_tongue:
Yup - use them all on DSLR, so balance issue is again only bank balance.

1 Like

This was dated 2017, must try and find a newer compatibility list:

2 Likes

For your use, weight/balance will be the limiting factor as to which MFT (Micro Fourthirds) lenses you can use.
If you research the specs on those lenses, you should be able to determine an envelope of size/weight that it will accept OK.

I’ve seen some, not on that list, that foul the gimbal assembly itself. Albeit only by a millimetre or two. You know me I’m happy to mod most stuff, but even I draw the line at taking a Dremel to an X5 gimbal :blush:

@Njoro do you get the on-screen zoom buttons with your lens?

To the best of my knowledge, the lenses in that list, above, do not have power-zoom … which, I’d imagine, would be needed for in app zoom control?

1 Like

Hmm, that’s an interesting point.

I’m 99% sure the Olympus 14-42 pancake does, simply because of the balance issues I was reading about. And when it’s powered off (on a camera at least), it auto-retracts.

Good point though Dave, I shall research this some more :+1:t2:

You could be right on that one, I’d agree.

I haven’t used this lens in ages so I had to dig it out and remind myself and yes it’s butt heavy when not powered up “ must have been in muppet land” when I said it’s balanced perfectly…:roll_eyes:

The important thing is when it’s powered the gimbal pitch motor doesn’t even get warm and it doesn’t buzz; there’s a scroll wheel in the App.

2 Likes

The Olympus 45mm is balanced while powered off and I can confirm that the 14-42 retracts on power off.

2 Likes