Do Drone Signal Boosters Really Work? - VEERRRYYY Interesting

…For techies… but .I learn something every day…

1 Like

Your topic title has been edited.

As per this request : Topic titles and replies to existing topics, please keep topic titles informative.

Thanks

1 Like

There’s another one over here from last year too.

Spoiler alert.

No.

4 Likes

Exactly, try the same with some old beer cans split down the middle and placed around the aerials of your router see what it does for your wifi.

1 Like

Don’t forget to paint them gold - for added, erm… er…

2 Likes

He quoted some theory but made some grandiose claims with little evidence.

Having spent around 30yrs in RF Engineering if I knew that all I had to do was put some shiny foil behind a dipole I wouldn’t have had to memorise all those bloody useless equations and velocity factor values for different materials. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m a wee bit confused as I bought a parabolic for
a Mavic pro a few years back from fleabag, watch the video and he mentions tuned parabolics :woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face: what he mean tuned and is my useless copy :pensive:

I think the general consensus is

PARABOLICS

3 Likes

I think you spelt bollocks wrong @FFf

2 Likes

Never my strong point. :rofl:

1 Like

There is no end of science fiction, superstition, and complete bollocks when it comes to YouTube “Influencers” and their attempt to hawk crap, and then claim they’re being scientific.

Both Yagi antennas and parabolic arrays are very specific designs, and the formula for determining their dimensions are also very specific.

Let’s take the case of these silly things that claim to be Yagis and are sold for attaching to the Mini2 and Air2 controllers. A Yagi uses a balanced dipole as the driven, or active element. It’s termed balanced because either side of the central feed points the elements are equal length. If you were to plot the voltage and current distribution along the dipole you would end up with two half sine waves (hence the term half wave dipole), with a 90degree phase difference between the two values.

As of yet I have not confirmed the type of antennas used in the Mini2/Air2 controller but I’m certain they are not a simple up and down dipole but something of a much more complex shape, such as the two dualband antenna designs commonly used for WiFi shown below.

image image

Sticking a cheap “Yagithing” over such an antenna will distort the radiation pattern but not in the way a true Yagi array does. It will more than likely interact with the active component and change the Reactive and Resistive components of the circuit (an antenna is just a tuned circuit made up of capacitance, inductance, and resistance) and make it less efficient.

RF is an alternating waveform, and as the frequency increases and decreases the values within a tuned circuit change. A physical gap, such as a capacitor, can be an open circuit, or a short circuit, or a resistive circuit, depending on the frequency being used. This is the principle in how filters work. They can either pass or stop a range frequencies, the range being determined by the QFactor of the circuit.

So to put it another way, without being able to measure the actual values when you stick your Amazon/EBay miracle device on your controller you are ignorant as to what actual changes are being made to the resultant circuit, whether they are good changes or bad changes.

After watching many of these range tests of these two popular mods, the Yagithingamy and the parabolloxjob , there seems to be a close correlation between yes and no in relation to their effectiveness, meaning they’re not really effective at all and any number of external contributing factors could have attributed to the end result.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve been sat on this porcelain throne for two long and I now have no control over my legs :toilet:.

4 Likes

I have a bulk order of Aluminium foil I no longer need if it would help with your legs.
My Nigerian cousin sent it for a small donation into his company (I’m not sure how much yet, I have just emailed him my bank account details).

3 Likes

Can anyone please explain how I was able to go quite a bit further than usual testing a parabolic booster with a Spark?
Screen recording as proof this did work.

1 Like

I use one cost me £10 and the difference is quite remarkable for the cost .
i use a modded ~FCC app as well and have done the same flight numerous times and it gives me approx 1 more bar of signal when i was testing this,in a very rural area.some may scoff but for the money its a no brainer for my MA2. :grin:

1 Like

Well as a noob and watching some range tests on yt i have maybey fell for this trap but at the cost its worth the fun.
Hopefully i will get good weather tomorrow to try it out over a known area to see if its any more stable ir extended range
I know many factors can change in 10 mins between flights that can skew my observations but im up for a wee adventure .
Ill just be doing normal auto channel

point and shoot trying parayagi combo .
It all fits nice inside the wee dji case wedging inbetween the nubs.

1 Like

ok that photo has me all confused lol it looks like a mini2 drone with a mini2 charging caddy and batteries with a mini1 controller and mini1 case :exploding_head:

is that the SE? :thinking:

1 Like

That is spot on dude.
Bit of a hybrid
Mini2 body, motors and lipo batteries for bit more power and stability.
Decent eee flymore kit i find.
Price will prob drop too with mini3 release id imagine

1 Like

Ooooowwwwwaaaa :woozy_face::pensive:

What a debate that could be, I think the whole consensus on here is

Sorry for the loss of your hard earned :pound:

:woozy_face:

It’s not uncommon to have some sort of directional antenna at the feed point of a parabolic reflector, but this is usually a patch antenna or a log periodic array. Though in all cases the antenna points into the centre of the dish and not away from it.

A while back, to feed my own perverted curiosity and because things like this keep me awake at night, I did some field strength measurements with one of the clip-on parabolic reflectors mounted to my Spark controller and found next to no appreciable difference.

1 Like