Do I try the avata pro combo

I did search but couldn’t find the correct topic but feel free to move it if required and apologies in advance of that .
After flying DJI camera drones for about 5 years now I have been looking at the avata or FPV , as the avata pro combo now has 33% off I am a little more interested but would love some advise , I am fairly old and never used googles before or have any experience of video games so I wonder if I would be able to do it , also there seems a few different types of googles so what is the best as this combo comes with Google v2 , is the optional remote worth having and is the avata any good or is the FPV better . Also these have both been out for a long time now so any news on new better models. I’m totally lost trying to make my mind up so any advise would be appreciated.

I would 100% say that going FPV is great! I would also recommend the Avata for someone new to it. It can be controlled like the DJI camera drones (if you get the optional controller, I assume the combo comes with the motion controller, which is fun too, and probably better IMO). It’s very hard to break an avata (though @Sparkyws has become the resident expert in returning Avata’s to their home in the Netherlands, I think DJI now see him boot his up and get prepared for a return)

If you can, get to a meet and try one. As you say if you’re not used to gaming/VR it “can” make some people feel sick (though most people get over that, a rare few never do!). Everyone who’s tried the avata (who wasn’t already an FPV pilot) has loved it. It’s an excellent choice. The Goggles V2 seems a strange option to sell with them, are you sure it’s not the goggles 2 (the v2 are the older ones, I have a pair and work fine), the newer goggles are the Goggles 2 and the Integras. Basically DJI have released the Goggles, the Goggles V2, the Goggles 2 and the Goggles Integra (which are a cut down version of the Goggles 2). The goggles “2” are the ones bundled with the Avata normally, the V2 are older (but work fine).

The DJI FPV is fragile, but a LOT faster. It’s an excellent drone (I have both the avata and the DJI FPV), but new to FPV? Definately go with the Avata! Oh the Goggles 2 and Integras will work with the DJI Mini 3, and 4 (and a few of the other DJI drones!)

2 Likes

Direct from DJI they sell them with the Integra or the Goggles 2. Im sure they stopped making the Goggles V2 now (DJI have a stupid naming convension that confuses the best of us!). The integra goggles are cheaper, and have an integrated battery. TBH I think the integeras a better choice unless you’re sharing the goggles around a lot (for the swappable lenses). Also worth looking into getting the fly more (additional 2 batteries).

Using the motion controller is very straight forward, you wouldn’t need the optional controller, but would fly more like a mini/mavic that you’re used to. You can also go full manual mode with the optional controller (though you’re unlikely to do that until you get very very used to it, flying manual is a hard skill to learn, but once mastered you wouldn’t go back!).

Thank you that really helps , my mistake sorry it comes with googles 2 not as I said googles v2

Loads of good information in your replies and very much appreciated , with all this remote ID stuff that’s coming it has put me off of a lot of my normal camera drone flying , I am a member of a local flying club but flying the field with a camera drone can get very dull but a avatar would be more entertaining possibly but I was concerned the speed difference between the avatar and the FPV would make the avatar a bit dull plus I also watched the video from @ianinlondon on the signal loss but I take it that is now much better . Anyway thank you once again for the advice it’s very much appreciated.

I have not long got my Avata to go along with the Mini 3 pro I have.
At first I thought the motion controller 2 would be a bit of a gimmick with its joystick sort of flight controller and WOW was I in for a surprise to how awesome that little thing is. Makes you like a flying god ! haha

I did also get the FPV controller 2 for it as I do want to be able to fly in manual mode so I can do flips / loops / dives etc and I have been playing with a simulator for a while - but the motion controller has kept me very much entertained to a point that I am not that fussed about flying manual just yet but enjoying the fun that can be had with the Motion Controller and the drone.

I have also tried the Mini 3 pro with the goggles ( Integra goggles ) and the motion controller 2 and to me that feels more of a gimmic than anything usefull - though I have seen with head tracking and the Mini 3 pro you can get some really cool complex flight shots so maybe it does have its use.

As for robustness - man the Avata is a bit of a tank really - here’s my bounce - don’t try and do tricks with the goggles off - https://youtu.be/whxWwYegw4c

Only downside is trying to find locations to fly it in as it does need a fair bit more space and away from people ( need a spotter for the VLOS requirements too ) but overall I can’t fault it and its one of my fav toys ( if you can call it a toy )

Hope that helps you a bit more - really if you have the space to fly it you will have so much fun

2 Likes

Thank you , I think as normal you lot are talking me into it lol

1 Like

It’s worth noting that if/when RID comes the Avata will still need to have it, what you might want to consider is with the Goggles 2 you would need a mobile phone plugged in to them as they do not have GPS in the goggles, however the Integra version does so would not need a mobile plugging in.

Not your fault. DJI released the goggles V1, then the V2, then a few years later the O3 capable Goggles 2… What?!

Still I’d likely save the money and get the Integra’s (radio compatible with the goggles 2 and the most recent goggles DJI have released, just slightly cut down features, nothing exciting… ummm watching stuff over Wifi?! and the integras come with switchable lenses, where as the Goggles 2 have that built in). I don’t know (as I don’t own either the 2’s or the Integras), but do the integras do head tracking?

So save the £100 and get the Integra Combo and the fly more kit for £200 (stupid DJI and their mega battery tax!)

Meh… I fly at local football field, use A16 insurance! I know what you mean by flying in the same location with a camera drone would get boring quickly. The motion controller is a lot of fun (and have used it with teh DJI FPV too), but you cna’t beat full acro/manual modes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah all these things are big boy toys, lol!

Ahhh yeah the Integra are better in that respect actually, so my case for Integra over the G2 holds even more! I think that’s why DJI released the Integras so soon after the G2 for RID and not requiring a phone to be dangling from the goggles!.. Switched the Wifi chip for a GPS one (think I saw that on mads tech the other day). I think it was 1 or 2 months after the Goggles 2, the Integras were released. So think the main downside of the integras is having the switch lenses if passing them around to others with different lens prescriptions… Not a problem for most people.

I am also a member of FPVUK for the A16 but never had to use it (yet) and I have only been flying on farm land that I know and has restricted access so basically a sterile environment ( or as close to one I can achieve ) so other than apple tree’s I don’t have to worry to much about anything else LOL

There’s some info on the G2 vs integra (and V2 even!)

Martin @gunja99 has given some great info, but I thought I would also add my tuppence worth…

I suffer badly with motion sickness - cant be a passenger int he back of a car and really suffr on boats - but have no issues with the AVATA and Goggles 2, it is an amazing piece of kit! I actually flew 5 batteries last weekend without issue, loved zipping along just above the ground and shooting through some hoops, however on viewing the footage I did encounter motion sickness with watching a large amount of footage back to back!

The AVATA is fun, it is fairly tough and forgiving, and a great addition to the flightline for an UAS operator… Ok it may not be as agile or trick orientated as some of the true FPV self builds, but it is pretty much plug and play, and has the DJI battery managemeent built in, making it fairly simple to own…

One word of caution, but at least one flymore kit, and be prepared to buy more batteries, or a battery pack to charge them up with!

1 Like

Oh come on, he’ll now own the goggles, then we’ll bully him into a “proper” FPV drone, then a wing, then a… Can’t have enough “Big Boys (Sorry Girls) Toys”

Lol, you know Lee has been looking at wings now, don’t you… I can see one coming here in the next few months - even if he wont fly it himself :slight_smile:

More than happy to help, or even have a go with mine next time we up at the golf course! What fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks hon, I will take you up on that offer…

Those wouldn’t matter so much as I am a member of a local flying club that has a very large field to fly in so there I link to my phone anyway and as for the remote id it wouldn’t matter as I’m on the club field so neither of those problems concern me there .

Hold Fire! New Dji goggles (O4) and fpv Drone imminent… Hence all the deals. Feb or March launch?