Drax Power Station - Quick Fly Around

Ah - yeah - knew there was an update, hadn’t looked at versions.

2 Likes

Bit late to the party but that Drax video is brilliant! We haven’t got any power stations near us but I could always try it around The Faslane base.:rofl:

3 Likes

Might as well do Coulport while your at it :rofl:

@milkmanchris Just seen this and it is great.

One basic question, which I struggle with is - how do you figure out how high to fly.

I have a really poor sense of height or distance. And would have no idea how high or low I should be. As a result I tend to be too high a lot of the time.

Any tips here for general flying to get the right height?

On this occasion it was quite easy, Google told me the height of the cooling towers so I added a bit on to miss them.

The difficulty comes with tress and things that are not easily judged from a 2D map.

Others have used the Google Earth method which works well and allows you to fly a route virtually before you go out

As for judging distance and height, thats just a matter of practice and something you may never get better at, imagine Mrs Geek driving :grinning:

1 Like

I still struggle knowing which is my left and right hand!

Probably my dyslexia

:joy:

1 Like

Very dramatic footage, excellent.

1 Like

Inspiring thread. I’ve got a lot to learn :grimacing:

Very helpful thead. I’m new to drone flying. Do you need any permission to fly round power stations like this?

Not this one, all are different (especially the nuclear ones, where security carry guns) but its always best to check for restrictions before any flight

Use our very own DroneScene

Thanks for your answer. Was thinking of trying it at Drax because not too far away and couldn’t see any restrictions, but good to have it confirmed. Will put up pictures if they are any good… but I’m new to this so they might be a bit ropey!

Just be careful where you park, security is very keen at the moment what with fuel protests expected.

Oh yes, don’t want to cause any trouble

That’s a bit good. Very brave of you!

1 Like