Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

Do tell … :slight_smile:

I was looking over a mini and air2 that were for sale. The chap was quite insistent if I was keeping the Pro (which I am) that I needed to register it separate. I politely explained it was called an OP ID but he was so adamant and sincere he actually had me sat in the car checking this when I left.

2 Likes

Ah, got you … so a private sale rather than a shop?

1 Like

Yes. Sorry should have been more descriptive in the last post.
He is moving to Canada and feels that their laws will be too much for him so selling his gear.

2 Likes

He may have been totally incorrect about the Operator ID … but, from what I’ve read, he is equally correct about drone flying in Canada.

Alllllll that empty space there, too. Baffling,

1 Like

No apology needed; was just half-expecting it to be somebody from a well-known electronics store giving out the same level of advice on drones as they do on the PCs they sell… :wink:

1 Like

Yes I had a quick look at their laws and from what I glimpsed through it looks like a minefield.
They definitely have gone down the law route to deter flyers.
You have to be conversant with virtually everything an aircraft pilot knows as well as carry comms gear for contacting relevant ATCs, air maps flight plans the works.
As you say shame as the country is beautiful and there are vast areas where you probably hardly see a soul for days on end.

2 Likes

They used to have quite large badges that said

PCWORLD
THE COMPUTER SUPERSTORE.

I recall someone getting in a lot of bother for pulling a prank on a female colleague.
He made a label up and stuck it over a normal badge.
It read,

PCGIRL
THE COMPUTER SUPERWHORE.

took a day for anyone to notice.

I just did (and passed) my DMARES or UK flyer ID and operator ID test today.

Turns out that it has now gone from 20 questions to 40 questions!

Still multiple choice though, and it looks like flyer id is now free but operator id is still £9 per year.

It confused me as I was expecting 20 questions!!!

5 Likes

Hiya total newbie
I have an operators Id and flyers id, I took it at the same time even though the drone is under 250g.
My question is if a friend is with me and wanted to try to fly my drone, can they do so because I have the Id. Or because it has a camera have they got to have one to. :thinking:
Thank you guys/gals :blush:

Moved your post to this thread that covers pretty much everything about the legal requirements of Operator IDs and Flyer IDs.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual

Flyer ID

The flyer is the person who flies the drone or model aircraft.

You must pass an online theory test to get a flyer ID. The test is free. You should prepare for the test before you take it.

Children under 13

Children under 13 must also pass the test to get a flyer ID. For data protection reasons, they must register with their parent or guardian.

There’s more information in the children and parent guidance.

Operator ID

The operator is the person responsible for managing a drone or model aircraft. This means they’re responsible for things like maintaining it and making sure that anyone who flies it has a flyer ID.

They’re usually the person or organisation that owns the drone or model aircraft, but not always. For example, if you’re younger than 18 and you own a drone or model aircraft, you must ask your parent or guardian to register for an operator ID. You’ll still be able to fly as long as you have a flyer ID.

The operator must:

• make sure that only people with a valid flyer ID use their drone or model aircraft
  • label their drones and model aircraft with their operator ID

You must be 18 or over to register for an operator ID. You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft.

If you’re responsible for drones or model aircraft, but will not fly them you can register as an operator only.

Prices

Operator and flyer registration costs and validity

Registration Cost Valid for
Operator ID £10 1 year
Flyer ID £0 5 years

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

Weight requirements

Flying weight requirements table

Flying weight ID needed
Flyer ID Operator ID
below 250g - toy No No
below 250g - not a toy - no camera No No
below 250g - not a toy - with camera No Yes
250g and above Yes Yes

Short answer is,
To fly it they must have a flyers id
Just ask him to do the online test the night before, it’s easy and mostly common sense
:slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately, your short answer is incorrect.

1 Like

Apologies, getting confused with flyers and operators for having a camera on a <250g
I’ll stand in the naughty corner for an hour :scream:

This thread is about something rather important. Can we keep on topic, please?

1 Like

Hi all
Probably a stupid question but I’m looking to get a new drone in the next few days but how long does it take to get an operator ID? Is it something that they send to you by post or something?

It is an online application (£10) and it is provided immediately on screen. You can just print it off. You also get an email with the operator ID. If it is a sub 250g drone then you do not need a flyer id. It is easy to obtain though, about an hour of reading and a 40 question multiple choice test (no charge).

Thanks man!
I was thinking maybe the had to send you some certificate type thing that you had to keep with you! Showing my age here!

Moved your post over to this thread where you (should) find everything your need to know about Operator IDs.