Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

Continuing the discussion from 1 Oct 2019 - Drone Registration Day:

The Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES) goes live today, 5th November 2019.

REGISTER AT: https://register-drones.caa.co.uk

Further details of the registration scheme: Consumers | Civil Aviation Authority

How to label your drone: https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/labeling_poster.pdf

Some exceptions from Registration and from the Remote Pilot Competency Requirements exist. @kvetner has put a list together at: CAA registration exemptions

The NEW Drone Code: https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Drone-Code_October2019.pdf

Please do not create new / other topics about DRES. Try to keep it all in this thread.

Please keep this thread on topic.

And more importantly, let us know how you got on :smiley:

And, even more importantly, let us know if you’re going to refuse to register, and why. :imp:

2 Likes

How did I get on… Well its the 5th Nov and when I tried to register on the registration page it said to ‘bookmark this registration page and come back on the 5th’ . There’s no link to click, just a page saying to come back on the 5th. What a farce already. Even ‘drone-safe’ are saying the registration is now live, clearly it’s not.

1 Like

Well it’s just been on BBC breakfast but did they provide details of where to register. Don’t be silly it’s the BBC so of course not.

1 Like

It was even on the BBC news Web page. Breakfast news is just repeating what is on the BBC Web. It’s a pity the BBC haven’t checked the CAA site whether you can actually register. But the BBC are another department of government so I don’t suppose they would do anything such as check facts. They are too busy telling the population what they should do and what’s good for them.

2 Likes

Haha so stupid

Still not up.

Just heard Radio 4’s Today programme 8.00 news. Which mebtions drone registration starts today, up to £1000 fine for not registering and the purpose is ro prevent the chaos caused by dones at Gatwick happening again. BALPAreported as saying the measure desperately needed to avoid serious collision between drone and aitcraft.

Somewhat sensationalist reporting.

And I have been trying the website on and off since midnight with no joy.

1 Like

Nine quid… Why that’s the equivalent of nine large bags of tangfastics!!
Considering if this drone lark really is for me😂

4 Likes

Orgs are up:

Individuals are 404 :blush:

1 Like

Tried both still not working for me.

Orgs works for me Steve?

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/organisation/register

Enter your email, it’ll send you a code.

1 Like

Just read my email:

Dear Robert Soar,

You recently signed the petition:

Scrap the CAA Drone Registration Scheme

Because of the General Election, the closing date for the petition you signed has changed. All petitions now have to close at 00:01am on 6 November. This is because Parliament will be dissolved, which means all parliamentary business – including petitions – will come to an end until after the election. This means the petitions site will be closed and people will not be able to start or sign petitions.

We’re sorry we weren’t able to give you more notice that this would happen.

The petition will be available for people to read on the site even though it will be closed for signatures. This petition won’t be reopened after the election.

Individuals now live too:

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual

2 Likes

Just registered. Test was easy enough without reading new drone code. Then fill in name and address details (again) for payment by card.

Now have flyer id and operator id. Confirmed by email and, finally, an answer to the registration position and size question;

How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

• visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft
  • clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
  • secure and safe from damage
  • on the main body of the aircraft
  • easy to read when the aircraft is on the ground

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You’ll need to remove your label if you’re no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID. ###

So it looks like putting the reg inside the battery compartment isn’t an option

1 Like

I’ve just registered.
Easy enough, but I was hoping the label would be able to be under the Mavic battery.

Me neither. Really tired. I’ll be up around 11am …. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Just registered charged £9 (For 1 Year)
Received email which states my operator ID Expires on 05/11/2020 this is a rip off as we don’t have to register until 30th November so 25 DAYS LOST !
I have complained via feedback
This is so unfair anyone know anyone at CAA

Well it states ‘visible without needing a special tool to remove or open part of your aircraft’

You dont need a special tool to open or remove the battery?

Ok, for the sake of keeping it simple stick on the outside of the craft but still…:thinking:

1 Like

I’ll register the day I next fly which could be months away.

3 Likes

25 days lost?

Which is what, 60p?

5 Likes