Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

Be warned, if you haven’t registered and are flying, they are looking for you :laughing:

15 Likes

That’s was the flash a saw, I was only doing 31 mph , honestly?

2 Likes

Consumer Credit Association?

Hi all
I’ve been away from GADC for a few weeks.
I have done the test 19/20
Certificate updated to say I’m good to go.
I am an FPV Uk member.
My understanding is that they are doing the registration.
If I want to fly my Mavic this weekend am I legal?
I haven’t registered with CAA and I don’t have a number to sick on my drone.
Thanks

1 Like

Yes you are good to go.

2 Likes

If FPVUK have the same exemptions as the BMFA, which I believe they do, you’re good up to 23Feb2020. Although anything can happen between now and then.

I carry a copy of my BMFA test certificate🤪 and a copy of the CAA exemption notice on my phone just on the very rare off chance I should be challenged by someone with less of a life than myself. That being said, as I fly 99.99999999% of the time from a BMFA affiliated model flying airfield over a mile away from the nearest man made structure, the chances of me being challenged are as likely as me being a finalist in the Miss World Contest. Just another example of the how much of a pointless exercise the need for compulsory registration truly is.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Thanks guys

You still have to do the CAA registration

I can’t remember the cost of implementation but I’m sure it’s was a lot lot more than they’ve got back

Fucking bullshit get-out clauses :angry:

Under section 12(1) of the FOIA, we are not obliged to comply with a request for information if the cost of complying with the request would exceed the appropriate limit of £450, which equates to a total of 18 hours of work.

I Think they need around 500,000 registrations to break even on the capital cost of setting up. If the cost of running the database is 2.8 million a year then about 300,000 new drone owners need to register in the next 12 months.

That may overwhelm the system though as apparently it takes one minute per query to exttract information from the database. I must remember to charge more than £450 every time someone comes demanding information from me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s another of those jobs where you could compare the data for them in 30 minutes top if you had it off their system in the right format.

Yep, I certainly am a consumer, I’m also dyslexic, KO

Regards

Bill Miller

CCA registered drone pilot

2 Likes

There seems to be quite a lot of confussion over CAA registration.

Things like:
The Flyer ID should be labelled on the drone.
The drone is registered.
The Operator is the owner of the drone, it may be but doesn’t have to be.
Your friend can fly your drone because your Operator ID is on the drone but he doesn’t have a Flyer ID.
Plus more I am sure.

There are two registrations one as Operator and two as Flyer.

An Operator is anyone who is responsible for a drone, that could be your own drone a work drone or someone else’s drone. The point is that you are responsible for it. To obtain an Operator ID you have to pay the £9.00 fee, you then need to label any drone over 250g that you are responsible for with your Operator ID. You are responsible for ensuring that anyone who flies a drone with your Operator ID label on it has a valid Flyer ID.

A Flyer who wants to fly a drone over 250g has to pass the CAA online theory test and get a Flyer ID, they can then fly a drone for which the have they permission to fly by the operator whose Operator ID is labelled on the drone. The Operator may be yourself or someone else. There is no fee for a Flyer ID and it is valid for three years.

For more detailed information you can visit Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority where you will find all you need to know and can take the test and register as an Operator, a Flyer or both. I hope this has been helpful.

3 Likes

Isn’t that a bit stupid? If you’re paying your dues, why can’t you keep it?

What am I missing? :thinking:

This thread, probably :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you

Your answer is probably in this thread from last year, but in summary, it’s nothing more complex or in-depth than bad software design.

What are they running this on? A Sinclair ZX80?

1 Like