Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

@dustymagic
You are not registering the drone, you have to register yourself as an operator and a flyer. However I thought there were some exemptions if you hold PfCO

The only exemption is as a PfCO holder you donā€™t need to take the test. But you will still need an operator ID. and a flyer ID.

Finally an article on BBC. But they didnā€™t tell people where or website to register.

Went on line to register my drone.
As a PfCO holder, I was looking to register without taking the testā€¦Nothing on the CAA site seemed to apply so I called the CAA to be told to got to:
Registering a drone or model aircraft | UK Civil Aviation Authority and choose: Register as a non-flying operator ???
Eventually managed to get through (site had been down for 2 hours) paid my Ā£9 and received my Operator ID.
Hope this helps anyone else the same boat!

So what about flyer ID.? I was under the impression we still needed a flyer ID even as a PfCO holder.

I thought so too but not according to the guy who took my call, in fact he didnā€™t know the answer so put me on hold to get more information.

I got to say my piece last night on BBC Essex Drive Timeā€¦ :slight_smile:
Had to correct the DJ when he mentioned about previous incidents with planes hitting dronesā€¦ :rage:

7 Likes

What labels are people using to display the operator ID on their drone?

Some examples over here @Ronidog

1 Like

Thanks for that @PingSpike Its mostly quite useful stuff, if a little off course at times :grinning:

I now know where to stick it! But need to buy a label as I donā€™t have a machine to do that. Any suggestions?

Can get a label printer for about 20 odd quid. Quite handy thing to have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymo-S0946320-Manager-Handheld-Keyboard/dp/B006O87KUA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=label+printer&qid=1575063028&sr=8-5

This one in toolstation comes with a case and power adapter. Its aimed at sparks but works just the same as any other with built in templates.

Or if you dont want to buy a printer Iā€™m sure someone could help you out.

2 Likes

Agreed with investing in a label printer, always handy. Probably only use mine three or four times a year but Iā€™d now be lost without it.

Also, bit of an overnight market has sprung up on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Drone-Operator-ID-Labels-9mm-CAA-Regulatory-Identification-tags-Stickers/174087260160

And so on :blush:

1 Like

Really that many wow!

How unexpected!

1 Like

I did mine the old fashioned way

4 Likes

This is all great information. Not used the drone for a while so this forum is so good at helping you keep upto date on whats happening and what to do. Thanks to the admin team!

Now I need to buy a 4 drones to make the purchase of 5 drone labels from ebay a sensible purchase. Or rapidly think of how to explain the price of a tape machine and some tape. :laughing:

1 Like

Do you have kids ? Mine label everything , Iā€™m sure the dogs been done at some point

3 Likes

7 Likes

Repost of picture:

Created in GIMP, printed by eBay seller diysignwriting. They print onto a 150mmx1300m sheet, up to you what size and shape you want. Nicely die cut and they print as many as will fit onto the sheet. About 3 days from sending artwork to getting back through letterbox

Ā£5.99

1 Like

Black Friday deal?, I need me one of those ;o)