Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

I have started to worry a little bit today, hoping to go out with the Mavic tomorrow 01.12.19 and as a member of FPVUK I belive dont need to register till January but my arse is twiching incase I get a pull from the police while I’m out flying as im not registered yet and have no registration number. I ticked the box for them to register me on signing up with FPVUK and done their online test. If I do the CAA one tonight this would put my mind (and arse) at ease. My question is what will happen when FPVUK go to register me?

I don’t know what’s happen when FPVUK sort out registrations but I’m also with them and so I carry my certificate and also the CAA exemption paperwork that is available on the FPVUK site. That states members don’t have to register til Jan 31 2020. That should be enough to cover you I’m sure.

3 Likes

I’m also FPVUK bt did the CAA test and registered anyway early on the morning of November 5 so I could see what it wasall about.

My understanding is:

A: Your FPVUK membership and certificate A pass paperwork will be recognised as what they are - an exemption from CAA registration for the time being

B. The FPVUK will contact you to ask if you wish to register through them before sending in the list of A certificate holders. there will be a box to tick “No thanks, already registered with CAA”

C. How often have you seen a copper when flying previously? Unless some halfwit decides to close an airport with drone flights and “something has to be seen to be done” I predict that the police will have more important things on their plate over the next few months - like election day unrest and the Brexit riots next year - whichever party gets in and regardless of whether we finally decide to stay or leave. :frowning:

6 Likes

I’m with FPVUK and, as instructed, will carry my membership certificate together with copies of the the 2 CAA exemptions - will wait until FPVUK contact me or the exemptions expire before I register for drone and operator IDs.

1 Like

3 times

All very impressed, and hopefully they all left a little but better educated.

1 Like

I asked my mate who works for the Met if he had been briefed on anything drone related recently due to the registration scheme. They haven’t been briefed on anything drone related…yet.

2 Likes

I believe the Bill to provide the Police the extra powers needed for enforcement failed to go through Parliament in time due to the announcement of the General Election. The reading of the Bill is expected sometime in 2020.

Regards

Nidge.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for the info

Oh, really do you have a source for this?

It was discussed on the SUAS News Drone and Sundry Pod/Vid Cast about three or four weeks ago.

1 Like

Here are details of the bill in question. Unfortunately it’s not possible at this time to see how far it has progressed as the Parliamentary servers appear to be knackered.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8717

Nidge

Oh yeah, you’re right, as soon as you press on the progress of the bill link it says that there is a server error

Parliament was dissolved on 6 Nov pending forthcoming elections. It will be up to the newly elected government to decide what actions are taken with regard to pending Bills.

Apologies if this may have already been covered but I’ve only just come across this info.

Apparently the deadline for members of the BMFA, and I presume similar organisations, has been extended to February 23rd 2020.

Details below.

Nidge.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=9297&filter=2

2 Likes

Hi Stevesb,

It would appear that whoever built the website for the new registration applications failed to take PfCO holders into account as there was no option for “PfCO holders” The guy who took my call didn’t know the answer and had to go and speak to a colleague.

He then told me to use the “Non-flyer option to bypass the test element.

Yours sincerely,

Bill

Bill Miller

image001.png

www.hireadronescotland.co.uk

07557 673360

So did you get a flyer ID?

Well yesterday I caved and took the BMFA theory test.

After filling in my details - name, address, membership number, - I was presented with two options as to which test to take:

Do you fly a drone with a camera?
Do you not fly a drone with a camera?

Obviously this is because many BMFA members have never flown anything with more than one propeller LOS, and to do so would bring about the Rapture.

As I fly anything that is capable of crashing I chose the “drone with camera” option.

Ten questions and less than two minutes later I was presented with a fancy certificate in PDF format.

Do I feel more confident and trustworthy as a model flyer after taking this test? No!
Will my family, friends, neighbours, milkman, dentist, etc, look upon me with a higher reverence knowing I took a test aimed at a 9yr old’s intellect (in the UK it has been found that as a nation the average reading ability is at a level expected of a 9yr old and as such all government issued forms have to reflect this)? No!

Did the authorities expect to tap into a cash cow revenue stream? Most certainly yes. Will they be overly disappointed? Undoubtedly. Should we expect a significant increase in payable fees once their inaccurate calculations are realised? Goes without saying. More importantly we will see a significant stagnation in the innovation and education we’ve experienced in the opensource communities of autonomous multirotor and fixed wing SUAS’s over the last ten years.

Now to beat-up that overly smug cat of mine.

Nidge.

1 Like

No I was given an OP number.

Regards

Bill Miller

CCA registered drone pilot

You still need a flyer ID as well as an Operator ID.
so you may have to bite the bullet and take the test. I did it that way to get the flyer id

Deffo

2 Likes