Drone and Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DRES)

Exactly

With a qualified driver beside you, and a practical test to follow to drive on your own.

@milkmanchris but not until you’ve done the practical, so my next question is will the CAA then bring this requirement in? it just goes to show that the whole thing is a placation exercise.

1 Like

Love it :+1:

Well I’m all done, did test too, just whilst I had a few mins, brush my PfCO skills up lol
Made me a little ID card too

1 Like

I see Drone User Mag is getting in on the lucrative new market. Fair play to them :slight_smile:

I don’t see the PfCO cards on the site any more, but hopefully I didn’t miss that boat - was still plucking up the motivation to go and get my photo took :wink:

Talking of photos… did I just not notice that it’s Boris on the samples, or is that new for the Operator IDs? :rofl:

I won’t be printing any documents at all, I Hate having to carry documents about to prove things to other people that should keep there noses out of my enjoyment.
Caa say the email is proof, that’s good enough for me.

1 Like

I had a coffee last night with a couple of the local constabulary, I asked their understanding of the new rules on registration.

Simple answer, ‘No idea pal’

Although they both were fascinated by some photos and video I showed them of mine.

3 Likes

Son in law (no pun there) is police and uses drones for his job ( pfco registered ) yet they have had no communication regarding policing the system.

Having put registration on outside of drone what’s to stop someone copying it and doing illegal activity’s and you could get the blame at least inside the battery cover it would only be the authority that needed to see it had access

2 Likes

Label and have the letters the same colour as the drone doesn’t say how close you have to be to read it

Stupid question I know but how do they enforce registration and punish the unregistered? can you be asked for your license thingy whilst flying?

I would like to see the figures on how many have registered by the end of the month

But… surely such a thing could never happen??? :thinking:

2 Likes

No. If they interrupt you when flying they are endangering an aircraft which is a criminal act. Tell them to piss off.

After the aircraft is safely landed then they can ask questions (the choice of landing site is solely down to the pilot) but, in my limited understanding, you do not have to carry a copy of your registration confirmation mail with you.

1 Like

Lol. I dare say the local constublary have bigger fish to fry at the moment than a few errant drones… I think Gatwick had more publicity than it deserved, but it was a, ‘slow news’ week for the press.

Someone correct me but I think the law changed. An officer can approach and interrupt you now, and instruct you to land immediately if safe to do so.

2 Likes

Two police officers sat and watched me fly at the Dream a while back- No problems just let on and moved on.
I will be carrying my details in the form of small card just in case, always nice to flash under busy bodies noses you know the ones who say You should not be flying that here, it’s illegal normally asking Why? Usually shuts them up, and the only reply is “ because it is” jog on!

1 Like

No not required but your Flyer ID can be requested by police for checking purposes and also if it tallies with the ID on the drone.

The online suggestion of carrying the confirmation email is simply to have an easy print out you can wave at appropriate authority when asked. Many will choose to make a business type card with Operator ID and Flyer ID on it.

Apparently if your drone is lost but registered and then found the registration scheme can be used for tracing the owner so it can be returned - or (cynically) the owner arrested.

2 Likes

Or the stickers peeled off and it put on eBay or Gumtree

5 Likes

haha now who’s being naive,

they’ve been trying to get that going for longer than I’ve been a live,
Never gonna happen, no-one to police it too much coast too many boats.

I remember “having” to register my laser with Small ships register (SSR) when i was racing abroad, that’s about as close as it gets.