Drone ID number required by East Midlands Airport ATC

Hi, I’m planning on flying around the Church at Breedon on the Hill. I’ve emailed East Midlands Airport ATC out of courtesy. they emailed back asking for my drone ID number so if my flight triggers their alarm they will know it’s my drone.
Where can I find my drone ID number?

In the UK, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) the requirement for Remote ID already exists in Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and 2019/947, but is yet to be implemented.

The CAA, on behalf of the Department for Transport (DFT) are currently reviewing whether to implement RID ahead of the regulatory deadline, set by the UK government, of 01 January 2026. If a decision is made to implement RID, this will see the implementation of both the technology and regulation required to establish remote identification for UASs across the UK.

From PingSpikes Dec 23 post if that helps. :thinking:

Should I give them the serial number as my ID?

You should give them your Operator ID number, the one you got from the CAA when you registered yourself as a Drone Operator - if you haven’t done so then you need to do it before you fly.

2 Likes

I think your drone ID number is on a sticker within the battery compartment. It should also show up on the controller screen in your settings menu somewhere ( if you look for it in the battery compartment, you’ll need a good magnifying glass to read it) :wink:

2 Likes

Is this it?

1 Like

That’s the one Matt :+1::+1:

1 Like

Breedon on the Hill. Ahh EMA zone. EMA ATC are quite helpful. I flew last August within their FRZ was advised that my max height was to be set at 30m ( 100ft) and to phone before and after the flight, and to keep my mobile switched on just in case they needed to contact me during the flight times. :+1:

2 Likes

This is nice to know that people are being good about it. Yesterday we went over an old TV filming location. Whilst the gates were open and there are no security there anymore as it is abandoned, we chose to locate the security a few miles away. His first question was “what weight is it” I said 249, he took the op id down and said we can not do a thing about it. I said that I wanted to TOAL on the land and he said go for it. Thanks for asking. If he had said now we would have just taken off from outside but it was better to be on site and we got some photos and videos of the site that is now falling apart. GRRR BBC stopping programs.

1 Like

Well everything went ok.
East Mids ATC were great.
I gave them everything they needed including approx flight time.
Managed to get a few photos and a couple of videos just need to edit them!

Here’s one of the photos
Even though I’m a qualified photographer, this is a different kettle of fish! :joy:

15 Likes

P.S.
Thank you everyone for your help! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Blimey they must be using far better technology than the F-35 Stealth Fighter that recently couldn’t pick up a passing drone by their own onboard radar " allegedly " :joy:

3 Likes

@Mattyb1975 can you confirm which “drone id” number they actually needed in the end?

It’s the serial number you can find on the box for the drone or inside the battery compartment of the drone.

1 Like

Guessing they only have DJI AeroScope for their CUAS then. I wonder what would happen if you asked to fly a non-DJI drone there :thinking:

Thanks for the info @Mattyb1975

1 Like

Most (all?) ATC seem to be very helpful where drone flights are concerned. They seem to be pleased that you have taken the trouble to contact them and get permission for the flight. I suppose that if they always said no to every flight without good reason, or made it really difficult to get permission, they know that some people will give up asking and just risk a flight anyway.

2 Likes

I wanted to fly my drone in my back garden which unlike my front garden is in the Redhill aerodrome FRZ. Have to say they were very helpful. I sent in an email with the details of the planned flight (we were having a party) and my Op ID & Flyer ID and within 24hrs got an email saying all good.
Funnily i saw a lot more training flights near my garden than normal :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

It’s the drone serial number they are after for “aeroscope” purposes there could be another drone operating in the area so they want to differentiate between those that have asked for permission and those that haven’t. The op id will also be given to link the 2 together.

1 Like

Matt, did you have to unlock the zone via the Flysafe website ?

I only managed to get to Breedon, and this was outside the FRZ. By the time I got Willington it had started to rain. So called it a day.