Drone SAR For Lost Dogs UK

Hello all, my name is Graham Burton, I’m the founder of Drone SAR For Lost Dogs UK, a nation wide Facebook group that helps to search for missing dogs using drone technology. I understand from a few members of this forum that there is a lot of interest from members to know more about what Drone SAR (DSAR) does so I am happy to answer any questions I can. The group can be found in the following link. Many thanks

8 Likes

Hi Graham I put in a request to join on Facebook a little earlier.

Do you have many pilots around Warrington way?

1 Like

Hi Dorje, yes we have a good number of pilots around the Warrington, Liverpool, St Helen’s, area and you would be more than welcome.

1 Like

Thanks Graham :+1: :+1: :+1:

@DroneSAR Many have asked and forgive me if you’ve already answered but is there a way to join without facebook?

1 Like

yeah it’s the facebook thing that stops me from signing up also.

2 Likes

It works really well, if a dog is lost in your area they set up a post with all the details on and all the local pilots get tagged to see if they can help
There is no obligation just post back if you can or cant
That’s it, its just like any other FB page you see the odd posts
You also join a private group just for Drone pilots, I posted on there this morning and that’s why Graham and many others have joined here today

1 Like

maybe its just me, I just don’t like facebook even though I do use it (barley lol)

A lot of people don’t have (or want) a Facebook account :confused:

2 Likes

I have a facebook account but barley use it so all my notifications are switched off.

so pretty sure the system wouldn’t work for me anyways as I wouldn’t get the notification right away.

3 Likes

FB is a great tool, use it as you need

Graham runs everything from FB as it’s just one platform to run so easier to manage

Maybe so, but i don’t do Facebook, did but no more.
More than happy to help but not on Facebook

Hi Graham. Nice to see you in here too.
It’s a great community & I’m sure you’ll find your made very welcome with hopefully, plenty of interest in helping out Drone SAR for lost dogs.

Mark T (DSAR pilot from Windermere :+1:)

2 Likes

Hi FFf,
Sadly not. As a lot of other missing dog groups are also on Facebook then this platform is the main way for people to ask for help when their pet goes missing. We did think about building a website very similar the the www.doglost.co.uk website but found it would cost a small fortune to have a similar website built so sadly we have to use whats available sorry.

1 Like

Applied to join the group. Used an old account set up for work so nothing in profile but should still be visible

And perhaps that is the way to go for all those that may be concerned about the whole Facebook privacy, and notification thing. Create a fictional Gmail account with the very basic information and use that to register with Facebook as a completely new entity and once again only use the very basic information requirements. To a certain extent, you have to know your way around some of Facebook’s automatic settings but nothing a little time would take. I’ve toy’d with the idea of creating a completely new one just for the drone and music groups I’m a member of and running that on my laptop only.

This is what I don’t get, I have been using FB since the day it started and it a great social media tool

Can you explain?

If we could keep this thread on the subject of DroneSAR please, rather than a social media privacy discussion. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

No, I have no issue with it. Others do. Like you, I’ve been using it from day one, and yes it’s got many faults but equally, it’s got many many merits. It kept many millions of people connected, fit and sane during the lockdown. An absolutely Godsend for some.

If you are one of those who think Facebook is bad and not to be trusted then I suggest you cut your credit/debit card in half and cancel your Internet asap.

Back on topic. I’m a member of DSAR and think it’s a wonderful tool to help reunite people with other members of their families because let’s face it, that’s what dogs are to many millions.

2 Likes

I too am a member and went out on my first search the other night

It’s equally rewarding for me too to be able to use my drone and it’s technology to help others :+1:t2: