Drones on TV

Perhaps they are making that change, now. It was quite obvious, when they eventually retrieved the Phantom data, that they were totally unaware of the number of prisons that were being supplied.

I’ve visited a few prisons through a previous job and the prisoners tend to make a diversion (fight or something) at one end of the prison while a drone drops something off at the other end, usually an exercise yard…

3 Likes

Last evening’s program was about them retrieving packages dangling from the Phantom through their cell windows.

That’s terrible! Ballsy flying though…

1 Like

On Coutryfile atm … using Drones to track tagged bees. #Irony

2 Likes

I love this competition each year. Entered it a few times myself.
This evening they were choosing winners and, during the course of the program, lots of non-winners get shown and seen “on the table”, etc.
I was watching carefully … didn’t see ONE drone photo!
There seems to be so much scope to put in drone photo, too.

1 Like

Even one of the greatest wildlife cameramen, Gordon Buchanan, is using a Mavic in Grizzly Bear Cubs & Me … on BBC2 right now … as a Mavic Grizzly Bear Tracker". :+1:

Watching Eurosport2 … wall climbing … some brilliant coverage by drone following the climbers up the wall!

On now on #BBC2 - “Reindeer Family & Me” - some amazing drone footage in northern Finland in the depth of winter in -18°C temps.

Spoiler alert !!! There will be a drone on eastenders soon as part of a story a mavic air dressed to look like a cheap toy drone

Mrs was watching Gino D’Acampo other night i said that’s all done with a Drone they looked at me as if to say idiot then i spotted the drone in the shadow fly across the screen quick rewind and there it was they all shut up

2 Likes

Brave man. I daren’t interfere when she’s watching something on TV. Not worth the hassle.:rofl:

3 Likes

Last night’s, BBC2, The World’s Greatest Rivers : Amazon was packed with drone shots … hardly surprisingly when it’s impossible to get heli-cams to the vast majority of it … and it’s always fun to play “spot the drone clip” in such progs.

I’ve now taken this spotting a stage further to a …. “spot the (possible) use of Litchi sequence” … and there were a couple of contenders last evening.

Here’s one of them …

BBC has the 100 best walks!! Plenty of drone footage. Amazing shots

Yup - that’s from more than a year ago … and repeated recently.

Hmmm - it was Julia Bradley … so that will have been ITV.

… almost a year ago.

All 2 hours of it …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mng1EHSseM

That’s the one. I thought it was a BBC thing. I thought JB was a BBC lady, Just managed to see it on a relatives telly so it could have been on just about anything. They can get TV pictures from Pluto with the amount they fork out for their package…or for THAT amount, I’d want pictures from Pluto.

Yep 2 whole hours of it…it was the drone footage I was interested in.

Generally I think TV uses too much dronage.

Some of that is probably budget constraints (understandably) prevented them using heli-cams in the past, so directors are having to get the thrill of drones out of their system.

Then - when they do use them - the “fly back and up and away” shot (and others) is used to DEATH … especially in programs like Grand Designs and many other property progs.

They use for the sake of it and not because it’s both needed and adds to the viewing/story-telling process.

Amazon, last evening, made no mistakes using it.
Some - Yes.
Too much - No.
Was there an alternative? - No.
Tacky clichéd shots … None!

2 Likes