EASA and the UK!

Of course, to you and me, it makes more sense to keep the same flyer ID number, same as you do with your driving licence or passport, but then we’re not a statutory body making up the rules as we go along :laughing:

Imagine if every UK registered plane had to change their reg every year!

:thinking:

Perhaps I shouldn’t give them ideas.

Passport number is issued to the passport not the person so changes on renewal.

Shows how many passports I’ve had :smile: (One actually, I never renewed because much as I enjoyed foreign countries life’s too short for airports).

When we had “tax discs” to show that we had paid Vehicle Excise Duty a copper could glance at a windscreen to check if a car was taxed. Old Guinness bottle labels didn’t fool Old Bill.

So what do they look for now on registered drones? And where?

Checking flyer ids is also a thankless task. For my nine quid I got an email. Not a watermarked document through the post. Nor a photocard. As a means of identifying and regulating drone flying the registration is a joke.

And, given the number of reports in here and other fora of people being asked for op and fly ids by the constabulary (zero AFAIK) the risks of not displaying any form of identification when flying for evil purposes is minimal.

Given the income from the scheme against the setup and running costs I can only assume that

a: The scheme is just a sop to keep the more rabid of the media quiet

b: It is purely political to show the great unwashed that the gummint are firmly in control and defending their airspace and privacy

c: Some politico’s relative is on a nice little earner from the whole debacle

6 Likes

d: a data collection exercise.

1 Like

I now have my id in the battery compartment of the drone,which as far as i can tell is ok as you do not need any special tools to access it… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I’ve renewed my registration and the stickers will stay on, one on top, one on arms, because a. I’m basically honest and I’m doing what is asked, and, b. It’s no big hassle to put a couple of stickers on it.
In reality I think there’s more likelihood of me getting hit by lightning or getting stopped for riding up and down the street on a unicycle dressed as a pineapple while singing the national anthem than there is of me having my drone registration checked. The police have more important things to worry about than Joe Public flying his drone, like actual crime?

1 Like

I have an admission.

Even though I am on this drone perverts database I have yet to put any identifying marks on any of my models. It’s not because I’m making a useless gesture against “The Man”, but rather I get out so little these days that it completely skips my mind. If I do go out I kind of only remember once I get to a site to fly from and I just end up thinking “F*£& it” and fly anyway. I’ve yet to be approached since the registration fiasco came into being but I put that down to looking like an extreme death core metal drummer, whom also happen to have a bad back.

Nidge :metal::metal::metal:

7 Likes

Yep that’s fine

1 Like

EASA. Latest from CAA. Independent Review…States that " in the event of the UK participation with EASA…you mean they still have not made up their minds??? Not when, but in the event of.

2 Likes

Apologies if this has already been asked / answered before, but under the new regs is there any change in being able to do paid work with a sub 250g drone such as a mini 2 given we should be able to fly it anywhere, or will a separate licence / qualification still be required.

When the new regs come in, the CAA will no longer differentiate between hobby and professional (paid for) flights :+1:t2:
All regs are based on safety requirements only.

1 Like

And what you’re flying.

2 Likes

Yes - of course - should have mentioned that :+1:

1 Like

More a case of what and where instead of what for ;o)

2 Likes

That sums it up quite nicely :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks guys that makes sense.

If I’ve read all this right, a minute after midnight at New year I can launch my Mini vertically from my garden to take photos of the fireworks. Correct?

3 Likes

I hope so :+1:

5 Likes