Edinburgh Castle

10 Likes

I know you are on the Esplanade… but is the castle not restricted airspace as a military installation?

No it used to be as it had a jail in it but dji seen the error othere ways .a clue there are no armed guards on the castle.on the as well the castle was shut and you can see the cars parked .it’s is in a limit height area ie 121m and low flying aircraft maybe in the area. If you are planning to fly there go when it’s closed and just use common sense ijust took my mini 2 .would have loved to have taken my m2p but not allowed drone code.

1 Like

Natts if you want to be on the safe side phone 101 police give them notice of your flight plans, they will give you a ref number and will phone back to allow or deny flights in that area. Once flying there if police arrive just quote them police 101 ref number and they will leave you be .

Isn’t all the UK :person_shrugging:

Yes but in these highlighted area you can/ may have low flying aircraft below 121m

I have a Mini and will be in Edinburgh next week as part of a 12 day trip around the Highlands. I have already got both my UK fly & operator IDs and I am planning to take aerial pics of landscapes and historical site. One of them being Edinburgh Castle, could I TAOL from either the Esplanade or Princess Street Gardens?

As I understand it, one is managed by Historic Scotland and the other by Edinburgh´s City Council, so would two different rules of use apply? I have seen here quite a few issues with TAOL from HS´s land…

Also, The Management Rules for Public Parks and Greenspace Item 8 advises that “The following acts are prohibited: 8.2 Operating any motorised or mechanically propelled toy or model vehicle, aircraft or boat so as to disturb wildlife, endanger or give annoyance to other people or if asked by a Council Official not to do so. If person/persons are found to be using an unauthorised drone or model aircraft on or from CEC land without permission they will be requested to stop immediately. If the user refuses to stop, Police Scotland will be called to attend to cease activity and remove the user from CEC land. " so basically if there is no one around it is ok and if any CO asks me to stop should just RTH and land?

Edinburgh City Council, as a landowner, have pretty much banned recreational drone use. Reading their new guidance doesn’t give much hope that they will grant permission for recreational flights.

"City of Edinburgh Council Land Owner Stance – Drone Usage

In general terms, and in line with CAA advice, The City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) may refuse any request made to us for recreational or commercial purposes as land owner to fly drones on City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) land.

Exemptions will only be granted, where usage of a drone device;

· aids risk reduction in the work place i.e. working at height, building survey work

· is to undertake a professional service, i.e. Festivals & Events Media, filming, etc. whilst working within the constraints of CAA guidance noted above.

Reasons for the Council stance for recreational or commercial requests;

· The close proximity of many of our sites to neighbouring residential, educational and business properties and the potential risk of causing alarm, distress or harassment to occupants.

· Potential risk of accident, injury to other site users or property as a result of user or drone error.

· CEC granting permission could leave the local authority liable for subsequent actions brought about by drone activity when operated from land under our ownership

1 Like

Thanks for replying, Drumsagard (and congrats for your amazing pics).

I had read the .pdf before and, although I might be stretching things a bit here:

“Under the new regulations, there are some UAS that fall within the Open Category which can be operated from public land or public rights of way without requiring permission.” → this applies to my Mavic Mini as it is under 250g.

[Park Enforcement & Bylaws ] "Item 4 of those rules advises that “The following acts are prohibited unless the Council’s written permission has been obtained first:…4.13 Engaging in any commercial activity whatsoever (including, without limitation, dog walking
services, photography, filming and fitness training services)” → So, I understand if you are not going to be paid or sell the pics, shouldn´t be a commercial activity and therefore no prior permission should be asked.

[Park Enforcement & Bylaws] item 8 advises that “The following acts are prohibited: 8.2 Operating any motorised or mechanically propelled toy or model vehicle, aircraft or boat so as to
disturb wildlife, endanger or give annoyance to other people or if asked by a Council Official not to do so." → Love the “give annoyance” part, but I understand that as long as no one comes to me and complain (in which case I´d certainly comply and RTH), that should be ok…

I appreciate your input, Drumsagard, I am aware that I might be reading things the way I want to read them. Also I may use my worst Spanish accent If any officer comes to ask, counting on the lack of enthusiasm for the additional paperwork involved.

Hopefully some other pilot has thought about flying, or done it, from the same spots recently and they can also provide their experience.

1 Like