Editing question Davinci Resolve

Hey guys just a quick one, for those that use DaVinci Resolve & video files H.265.

Playing around today I’ve noticed that DaVinci encodes into H264 for exports. (No option to export into H.265)

When editing H.265’s am I losing some sort of quality when it then renders it into a H.264?

Not really mate to be honest.

Are you using D-log M H.265 or standard?

DLog-M gives you the highest dynamic range available on the sensor which you can then colour grade and export in H.264.

Bad thing about Dlog is there is no lens correction profile applied in camera so you need the studio version of resolve if you want a a flat horizon and no fish eye look. That and its a pig to wotk with.

Standard profile H.265 vs H.264 I can’t tell the difference in terms of quality.

I still use H.264

1 Like

Hi callum, yes mate I’m using DLog M, H.265

Was just curious that’s all, wanting the best from the new bird.

I am running the studio version of resolve but have to say is sluggish with these new files.

Downloaded adobe premiere pro yesterday, not had a chance to play yet. This though apparently gives you more options on exports.

Blu-ray
H.264
H.265 (also included)

Have you used this platform?

I used Premiere before moving to Resolve, I really liked it. Its more CPU intensive rather than GPU.

My laptop just isn’t up to working with Dlog-M although it did perform better with Premiere.

Sluggish like you said and completely falls flat when you try too much like colour grade and lens correction.

1 Like

Yes same this end, it does let me colour grade, but it’s like watching a movie with dog shot internet.
Stopping every 2 seconds. :tired_face:

I’ll give PP ago today see how the pc performs.

Select all your clips in Media Pool, right click, select “Generate Optimized Media” then let it do it’s thing.

Playback menu, select “Use Optimized Media if Available”.

Sorted. :+1:

It only uses that intermediate media for playback/preview - final rendering uses the original media.

2 Likes

Thank you Terry, I’ll give that a go too :handshake:

:fearful: Dashes for the hand sanitiser!

2 Likes

:muscle:t4: Elbows! Sorry :man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

Can take a little while to create the optimised media on a computer without the necessary hardware to fly through H265, but it means you can continue working in DR.

2 Likes

Anticipate a non-fast final render. But that’s why they invented coffee.

A Fusion render of 10 secs took 8 hours to render (overnight), the other day, only to discover I hadn’t turned an important effect back on. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Perfect, I’ll be playing today…

Tbh I’m very happy with the exports I’m getting it’s just difficult editing when like me you like to transition clips at certain parts of the music but it’s to jumpy to line the music up with a buffering video. :tired_face:

Windows, I’m assuming?

Before creating Optimised Media - check Project Settings.

I use:

You don’t need the highest res to see where cut points are or if colours look OK.

Resolution: Could set to Auto

Format: Could use DNxHR HQ

But I find the above means less space taken up with unnecessarily large files.

Might look a little naff if you are editing on a 32"+ UHD monitor, but then you’d probably have a computer that eats H265 for breakfast.

1 Like

Yes, using windows. Thanks for that Once the wife is of the pc I’ll check my settings :ok_hand:

Next time your out take a short video in H.264 standard, H.265 Standard and H.265 Dlog-M

Try the work flow editing each type and then you can compare export quality.

For me there was not a lot of difference to justify the hassle of editing 10 bit Dlog-M.

2 Likes

Good shout, I’ll try that today, :ok_hand: any excuse to get in the air :grimacing:

1 Like

I’d agree with @Callum - for the hobbyist, H264 4k v H256 4k D-Log, unless you really want all the extra faff (and have an H265 compatible computer!) - the results at the usual 1080 final render are not really that noticeably different.

D-Log helps if you have huge dynamic range in your scenery, but shifting the histogram to the left a little (on standard) to protect your highlights and good shadow recovery can do an awesome job. Needs some basic grading skills, but probably far fewer than correctly processing D-Log to get every last additional “bit” of info that it offers.

1 Like

Think my old MP shot in H.264 and that produced stunning clips. Maybe I’ll just switch back from 265 to 264 and see what I can. DaVinci performed perfectly with that.

Having just got the M2P I just wanted to see what it was all about and obviously wanting the best footage I could possibly get. :ok_hand:

Don’t think it did a bad job at all, It is noticeably different from my old 264 clips maybe, but the adjustable aperture could play a big part in this.

1 Like

Lens quality more likely to make a visible “difference” than aperture, unless you’re seriously homing in on the 180 rule in 24fps and using aperture rather than filters to achieve it. Most subject matters are of a distance from your drone where the aperture range of the M2P will make little odds.

If you’re sticking an f/2.0 prime on an Inspire, then (lack of) DoF can be sweet.

1 Like

Comparison with 3 clips is only way to solve it mate or you will drive yourself mad. Been there.

You will probably want to dial back the saturation on the standard profile. Cant remember if I did this on the drone or in resolve.

One thing missing from your video is lens correction. The horizon is curving at varying rates as you move the drone. Can fix that in resolve studio and its already applied on standard.

1 Like