Editing software?

Evening all, I am just upolading my footage from this weekends North East trip and I am already frustrated :triumph:
I am using Final cut pro and it just seems to take forever to transcode the media to proxy, my Mac BookPro is a 2.4 ghz intel i5 with 16GB memory, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB , so the question is is the Mac Book just not upto the job or is this normal ?
I have been shooting in 4K but after reading all the forums I am going to give 2.7k ago tomorrow and see if this makes any difference in quality, and editing timesā€¦
Has any one tried any of the other editing software and whats your thoughts ???

Iā€™m no video editing expert but I had massive problems with iMovie and those random black frames - drove me insane :frowning:

Iā€™ve since moved to ā€œMovAVIā€ and although it looks a bit cheapy, it works surprisingly well.

Granted, I only use it for the basics (cutting, joining, transitions) but for the Joe Bloggs amateur like me, itā€™s fine!

1 Like

With regards to FCPX

Proxy conversion is really only needed when you have several video sources.

Optimising is definitely the best way to go.

I thought I was going to have problems the other night with 25 minutes of 4k footage from 4 total files.

I had chopped them up in to useable clips and started to export the final file.

It took literally 10 minutes to do just 1% of a 3 minute 1080p video.

I thought, ahh must be because I am downscaling to 1080p

So I left it overnight.

Checked in the morning and it only took 40 minutes in total to render out, so not as bad as I was thinking (6 hours+)

Iā€™m on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) with 24 GB RAM - 4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, if that helps

2 Likes

Never got on with FCPX I use Davinci Resolve and Premier Pro, Davinci is the best bit of free editing software you can get your hands on

2 Likes

Iā€™m on premier pro on a PC.Your processor and ram should be fine. Macs have fairly slow drives which can be a pain, so you could go for an SSD upgrade. The graphics card is a bit thin on ram but I donā€™t think there is much you can do there. So, Iā€™d consider an upgrade to the hd and a second hd as writing the output to a different drive speeds the process.

I used to use a mac for my photography work but to be honest I havenā€™t looked back since getting a high spec windows laptop.

I tend to shoot at 1080 as that looks good enough to me though shooting at 2.7 and downscaling the output to 1080 can provide good results.

Nigel

1 Like

Thanks I did forget to say it is a SSD drive, off to Meadowhall later to look at upgrading me thinks :+1:

PLEASE tell me you have one of these to go with it:

:open_mouth:

But in all seriousness, this is the first recommendation Iā€™ve ever seen for Davinci - so Iā€™m off to download it now :+1:

1 Like

I was torn between DaVinci and FCPX - Being on a mac it was more convenient to use FCPX.

There seems to be a larger community for FCPX and more tutorials etc.

However, canā€™t moan about DaVinciā€™s free offering and if I werenā€™t already invested, I would certainly give it a go.

Thatā€™s a proper organ :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Lightworksā€¦I really like it. But itā€™s expensiveā€¦at least I reckon itā€™s too rich for my blood

1 Like

WTF? Lightroom doesnā€™t do video too does it?!???

You can catalog in Lightroom, but Maverick said Lightworks, so I think there is confusion here

Dā€™oh!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Which video editing software