ESC/prop issues with MM1

Evening all,

Sadly had another flight with the Mini cut short this evening due to the “propellers rotating too fast” error that seems to be a recurring issue for the Mini. Not wanting to mess about with props and miniature screws on the beach, sadly had to cut my planned flying short.

I’ve had this a few times, and I’ve got a couple of questions for the Grey Arrows hive mind.

Firstly, has anyone had any luck in complaining to DJI about this issue given that it seems to be a by-product of their case design? (I’m laughing internally at my own optimism as I write this…)

Secondly, has this issue been resolved for the Mini 2 with the redesigned case and stiffer props? I’m getting to the stage where I’m considering an upgrade anyway, and don’t want to be stuck with similar issues if I can avoid it.

The upgrade from a Mini 1 to a Mini 2 is very worthwhile. A lot of people have done so as the 2 offers so much more over the 1. I won’t drift off topic here as the subject has been covered to death in the last 18 months. Pull up a chair and have a read of the mega thread: DJI (Mavic) Mini 2

Getting back to the original question, what makes you think the storage case is causing your props to turn too fast? :thinking:

Have you studied a flight log in detail?

Is it always the same rotor that’s spinning faster that the others?

Have you swapped the props around to see if it makes a difference? Or replaced all four for a new set?

I probably have more questions but will stop typing now :blush:

1 Like

DJI published this back in May 2020 with regard to this problem …

Dear Valued Customers,

To ensure a safe and enjoyable flying experience, we have added a new safety notification feature on the Mavic Mini in the latest v01.00.0500 firmware. This new feature lets customers know when propellers need to be inspected or replaced.

【Potential Notification】 While operating their Mavic Mini, some customers may receive a notification on the DJI Fly app with the message “Motor Speed Error”

【Reason for notification】When the propellers are bent or damaged, the aircraft propulsion may be reduced and not perform as intended. The new Mavic Mini propeller safety inspection feature is capable of detecting this and sending a notification to the pilot with a “Motor Speed Error” message.

【Resolving the error notification】Please land the aircraft as soon as possible and check if the corresponding propellers are visibly damaged, bent, chipped. If the propellers are slightly misshapen, can straighten them out and retest to ensure the issue has been resolved. If the propellers show signs of major damage, chipped or bent, please replace them before flying.

Note: To help prevent this from occurring, pilots should follow the proper storage procedure for the aircraft. For reference, please refer to the image below. Please notice the placement of the rear arm propellers. Make sure the propellers are folded horizontally so that they are not pressed down upon during transportation. Pilots are also recommended to check the aircraft propellers before every flight.

1 Like

Get the impression DJI was suggesting improper storage of the drone in the fly more combo case was the main cause of the problem ie operator error = no warranty :man_shrugging:

@Jhdee Yeah, I meticulously check that the props are horizontal when packing the drone away. Seems that it isn’t making too much difference :man_shrugging: I wasn’t really expecting that DJI would cover it under warranty but thought I’d ask the question!

@PingSpike I haven’t gone through the logs just yet. I can’t remember if it’s always the exact same motor, but it’s always the rear motors that are affected. As the drone sits on those props in the case that’s why I thought that was the issue.

My main question is whether the Mini 2 is similarly affected - I’m guessing probably not as they changed the case design? I’m having a bit of an internal debate as to whether go for the Mini 2 next or go for something a bit beefier (MA2 or the Air 2S).

The Air 2S is one hell of an upgrade from a Mini 1 :blush: Check out this thread: DJI (Mavic) Air 2S mega thread

No, absolutely not. The Mini 2 comes with the prop guard holder as standard and as you say, also comes with the very roomy case that the Air 2(S) ships with.

If your budget allows the upgrade from a Mini 1 to an Air 2S, it’s a no brainer :blush:

2 Likes

I am also looking to replace my Mini 1 - probably with a Mini 2. I’ve been checking for some time now that the Mini 2 overcomes all the Mini 1 issues - to date everything appears to indicate the Mini 2 is a sound improvement.
However, to date, I’ve had no problem with the Mini 1 props and I keep the drone in the combo case. I did however spend some time “manipulating” the the recess for in the case to give improved clearance around the rear props & motors.
Please note my comment on DJI warranty is only my understanding. May be worth raising a ticket with DJI - you never know :man_shrugging:

With the other improvements on the Mini 2 I’ve just about convinced myself to go for it - and I’ve just noticed that Hobby Mounts has knocked £10 off the combo version.
The magic of the Mini 2 - at this time - is that it will remain a legacy drone for ever and can be flown almost anywhere. All other drones at this time, are transitional and will fall into the A3 class at the end of 2022.

3 Likes