Fear of Heights

Some of you saw and enjoyed my pic of the tower crane which I posted a few days ago on the photo thread. I took it as part of a little commercial flying commission I’d got on a building development in Bromley, Kent. As part of that morning’s flying and working I also grabbed a lot of decent video footage which wasn’t going to get used in the presentation I made for my client and they were happy for me to make my own video using this footage - so here it is…my latest piece…“Fear of Heights”. Enjoy, comment, repost and share you lovely pilots!!!

10 Likes

Once I’d got Vimeo to play it in full res it looked really good! :+1:

1 Like

Beautifully sharp video @JayForceOne and love the editing. Wanting that guy go up the crane was surprisingly interesting, seeing the care he made as he went up each section. I liked the colouring as well, was it out of camera or was it colour graded?

1 Like

Nice vid. I bet he only forgot his keys once !

1 Like

My bums tweaking at the thought of having to sit there all day in a bubble in the sky!.
Hope he does not forget that it does not have an outside toilet !
Great Video JayForceOne !

1 Like

What’s he doing on each section? Looks like he’s checking the bolts outside are at least hand tight?! :rofl:

Thought it looked like he was swapping harness attachments for each section.

Could be!

I have no idea how cranes work…

The base of it looks like it goes underground too?

great work, enjoyed that

He is checking the Lock Pins on the Jib Pivot Points, at the top section.
Standard Crane Safety Check.

2 Likes

It was graded after camera but the tweaks were minimal. I’ve spent a year messing around with the settings for the camera after many hours of YouTube university and I’ve got them down to pretty much how I like them now. The added advantage was it was a really bright and crisp, cool autumn morning so everything looked really fresh.

1 Like

Perfect. I knew it’d be something like this. Thank you :slight_smile:

Crane Superstructure:
52. Boom pivot pins, bearings, rope guide, fly jib pins & brackets
53. Check hoist drum oil level (Samples to be taken for analysis
on 9 monthly inspection)
54. Wire ropes for damage, frayed or broken strands – corrosion
55. Visual check of complete superstructure
56. Check hydraulic oil level & hoses (take sample from tank for
analysis on 9 monthly)
57. Check telescopic jib assembly for damage
58. Safe load indicator
59. Check all sheaves
60. Over‐hoist limit switches
61. Hook & hook blocks
62. Check counter weight, rams, U bolts & test operation
63. Check slew lock pin
64. check operation of hoist brake
65. Check boom telescopic operation
66. Check hydraulic pump gear oil level

Excerpt from my old crane safety manual !

2 Likes

The knowledge available from members on this forum is simply incredible!

2 Likes

We are (some of us) Old Farts Individually?, but collectively a ripe old bunch of Knowledge !

1 Like

After 24 years of Lifting 140 Ton Generator Module Packs onto Gas & Oil Rigs and also 45 ton Nuclear Reactor Coolant Motors (below) into position
JayForceOne’s crane is a baby !, but, never the less, just as dangerous !
AGR%202

This motor runs in liquid Co2 (600 psi) ,and pumps it around the reactor to keep it cool, and also the reactor.
power requirements 11,000 volts, 8,000 r.p.m.
6 ft in diameter, 18ft long, weight (including Impeller) 48 tons.
AGR
Man I loved building those beasts !!

2 Likes

Fantastic stuff, really liked the music as well

1 Like

Great video. Nice use of hyperlapse.
In our industry if anything is above head height it’s classed as working at height!! And we have to wear a safety harness, have one person who must be a trained first aider standing by in case of accident, or he gets hung up in a harness if he falls, and a 3rd person to raise the alarm in case the 2nd person can’t because they are assisting the 1st person.
They’d have a dicky fit if they saw this.
Believe it or not if we walk down the steps in the office, without holding the handrail, we get reported by security. There is even a hand sanitizer at the top & bottom of the stairs so you don’t pass on any germs holding the handrail.
The daft thing is the Health & Safety executive have researched and found you are safer NOT holding the handrail if you are ok with balance on your feet because reaching out tends to unbalance you. Crazy world.

1 Like

It always baffles me as to how they built tall cranes in the first place. Do they have another taller crane to build it, if so, how do they build that one !!

1 Like

A lot of tower cranes jack themselves up creating a space that another piece of the tower can be fitted into.

A development near me had a crane that was built, and then dismantled, by another crane.

2 Likes