Feature request: Loading status indicator

Would it be possible to have a loading indicator of some sort displayed on the map to provide confirmation that the “clean” map with no hazards is genuinely clean and not just stuck loading data?
I tend to fire up drone scene and do a final check at the TOLP as part of preflight, and as we all know, mobile signal can sometimes be patchy. It would be great peace of mind to have a positive indication that all available data has loaded and the map is valid.

Drone Scene is faster now than it’s ever been.

Interesting request @ben-s

So if you’re using a mobile with poor signal you’re left wondering if it’s still connected and is fine to fly, or if it timed out in the background and just didn’t tell you that it failed to load the layer(s)?

I was going to put in a feature request myself but I think it might fall under this umbrella as well.

I ran into an issue in Norfolk where I had zero phone network so was unable to load dronescene at all I had to walk back down the other end of the beach to re gain signal (my own fault for not checking beforehand)

But I was wondering if it would be possible to have an offline mode? not sure it would be possible but I figured it would be worth an ask. :+1:t2:

Pretty close.
My request was more prior to actual timeout (BTW, does DS have a timeout message? I’ve never seen one come up).
I’m thinking along the lines of the following on a slow / flaky cellular connection: Blank map → Caution flag appears → Map tiles load → All data layers load successfully → Caution flag clears.
In the event of a timeout, the caution flag could be replaced by a fail flag.
On a slow / intermittent connection, such as I had this morning, each of the loading stages might take (significantly) more than 10 seconds, and it appears to fully reload the data layers if you move the map, even slightly, so an indication that something is still going on would be handy.
I’ve implemented and seen similar things in industrial control software, where missing, stale, or invalid data triggers one or more warning flags over a display, and similar things are used in flight instruments too.

By the way, I’m not denigrating the speed improvements you’ve made recently - on a stable connection, it is great. This is something of an edge case for field use with a less than perfect signal.

A lack of phone signal in Norfolk? You astound me… :joy: