Feed back wanted on this picture please

Wyming Brook taken with the Canon 400d and using the 18-55mm kit lens, Some feedback would be great good or bad.

2 Likes

Stunning! A lot of detail even in the black and white colour grade! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Itā€™s a great photo

2 Likes

The composition is good, me likes.

Iā€™d be interested to see the colour version.

If Iā€™d have been printing that back in the day I probably would have tried to bring out a bit more detail in the water.

I like the b & w contrast especially with the bare trees and dark rocks, Iā€™m not sure that having colour would add to the cold and gloom you are showing in this composition.
You have the tree and the rock to give it depth but I am confused to what was the subject or focal point of the photo? What are you trying to show/tell me?

I think you could try a lower angle to get more of the stream in the frame, and a longer exposure to get contrast between the water and trees.

1 Like

Good effort with the idea behind the photo tho - Agree, id get my wellies on and get the tripod right in the stream very low slung, 10 stop filter and shorten the FOV so the background trees blur - let the water do the talking. In post id be tempted to crop the top and sides a bit to enhance eye movement up the steam and over the boulders. Woodlands are hard work tho, lots and lots of ā€œmessā€ about which the eye doesnā€™t see but the lens does.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will take it all in, I think I have a coloured one of the photo somewhere I will post it in the group if I can find it. I only have a 18-55mm kit lens at the moment and just started to get into photography so havenā€™t got all that much equipment as of yet but Iā€™m working on it.

1 Like

Nice photo, was there a particular reason for B&W?

Increasing the exposure time would have made a nice effect with the water, you would need a tripod to do that though, or the oposite and freeze the water with a very short exposure. I think that would have made the B&W more effective either way.

The compositiion is nice, maybe angle it down a little to get a bit more of the water flow.

1 Like

I did a colour and black and white one just to see what it was like, I need to point the camera down it sounds like it looks better so will give it ago.

100% of what it takes to be a good photographer is not equipment related.

5 Likes

Well itā€™s very good, but for me youā€™ve divided it into two pics with the diagonal full frame tree.
But lovely pic of the water.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna disagree on that, its just a tool in your hand.

Have a look at the DigitalRev series of ā€˜Cheap Camera Challengeā€™, or check out the hashtag shotoniphone on Instagram, some great results with minimum equipment.

I remember my first day at Uni (September 1986), the first lecture on the degree photography course, we were told its all about finding your own style and improving on that, he then gave us all a polaroid camera and said come back with 5 pictures to show the rest what you can do, it was a great leveller.

The downside of digital is that we just shoot anything and everything, a lot of the time without thinking about the basics. I did a talk at a local photo group a couple of years ago and asked a room full of (very keen) amateurs with a lot of years experience between them to go and photograph the local abbey, only rule was you were to pretend we were back on film and had only 12 exposures to play with, so no multi shot, no HDR. Its a great experiment if youā€™re honest enough to take it on. I shot 00ā€™s of weddings and 000ā€™s of football matches were I had to wait to see the results.

When I first started at football I would shoot maybe 5 rolls of KodaChrome 36 exposure and aim to sell 10 of those, when I hung up the long lens I was shooting digital and taking maybe 2000 shots a game, again to sell 10, the equipment was way better, but it didnā€™t make me any better, in fact I got lazy and relied too much on it, the pictures were no better either.

Moral, find your style and hone that.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ECB90D96DF59DE5

Do a side by side with your phone next time for comparison

2 Likes

Nice, I had a OM4ti for a while, with the 55mm 1.2 lens, brilliant camera,the spot metering on it was amazing.

I got rid when I switched to Canon in the 90ā€™s, I saw a mint one recently for Ā£450 (body only).

If you canā€™t take a good picture with a Brownie 127 (look it up!), you canā€™t take a good picture.

1 Like

A brownie 127 is not a box brownie.

That takes me back.
In a competition, David Bailey with the 127 would still wipe the floor with me clutching the flashiest digi camera!

1 Like

Exactly, its not about the camera ;o)

Crap photographer and top of the range all singing all dancing, whistles and bells camera = crap photograph.