First build planning

Hi All. First post here and very new to this. Looking at building a freestyle drone to mess around with.

I currently have a mavic pro that I fly occasionally, not as often a id like. Freestyle acro flying appeals more, Mavics are obviously cinematic and stable.

So currently in my shopping basket is:
Frame: Apex Evo 5”
Motors: Xing E 2306 1700kV
Transmitter: Radiomaster Boxer ELRS
Receiver: Happymodel EP1 dual TCXO ELRS receiver
Stack: Mamba F722 MK3 45A 128K

Now this brings me to the video. Ideally I like the DJI O3 AU but then read that it’s not straight forward using ELRS controllers with this. I think you have to not connect some wires and instead solder in your RX?
I did look at others cameras on offer and it’s not a hell of a lot cheaper only like 30 to 50 quid?

Another question, apparently a BEC is recommended with the O3 but my stack appears to have one? Is that right?

I’m happy for any suggestions please, this is still very much in the planning stages so I’m open to anything

Thanks

Hi @Dizzy and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too!

Looking for Public Liability Insurance? Then look no further, we offer £5,000,000 worth of cover to our Insured Members! Details of our insurance can be found at:

Interested in becoming a member of our Club? Read about all the benefits of membership at:

Wondering whether you can fly a particular model of drone under particular circumstances? Check out Good 2 Go where you’ll soon find the answer :blush:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

Our Associates are able to enjoy a lot of great services for free but our Members are eligible for a whole lot more! You can find all the details about our Membership Benefits on our FAQ :smiley:

And finally, if you are new to drones and wondering what it’s all about, have a look at Resources for a beginner.

Welcome once again!

This is correct :+1:t2:

Most Flight Contollers will have one for a 5 volt rail and some Flight controllers have a dedicated bec for DJI air units.

Just looked up your stack specs

FC Specifications:

• BEC: 3.3V 0.5A& 5V 3A (System Power)& 5V 3A(LED)& 9V 3A

The 9V 3A bec will be for your DJI Air unit :+1:t2:

Hi Shae - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thank you! What’s the consensus on O3 air units then? I thought they were a lot more expensive than the others but they’re not that much more than the Caddx one I was looking at

Consensus is that DJI O3 are more expensive, the fact is yes they are, but It’s about £100 on the Goggles and £30 - 50 on a VTX Unit if you’re looking at the system to buy.

If your buying a few VTX units, as in you want one for each of your drone, the extra cost can mount up to something noticeable quickly. The O3 are arguably the best quality image there is though.

Vista’s can be had for about 130-150 depending on the camera included, personally i like the better quality and I just move them between Drones if needed.