First Drone Flight - Air2 S

Hi all,

Only ever flown a little toy (£25) non GPS non camera drone before, around the house a few times.

Just got an AIr2 S and took it out for the first flight a few days ago. My first time flying anything outdoors.

How amazingly big it seemed out there compared to my living room!

Had no intention of making any kind of video yet but I turned the camera on anyway to see if it worked so I thought I might as well sling a quick one together as best I could when I got home.

My only intention at the time was to fly the thing out into the field and try not to hit anything.

You will see Glastonbury Tor in the far distance and Wells Cathedral and St Cuthbert’s Church (the church in the Hot Fuzz movie where a big piece of the very top fell on someone’s head) from the tree top view. The Mendip Hills are in the background behind the city.

The church you may have seen on the news yesterday as losing its steeple in Storm Eunice is a few 100 yards off to the right of the cathedral. Wouldn’t it have been amazing if it had been St Cuthberts and not St Thomas’s that had lost it’s top!

The video soundtrack is licenced from musicbed as part of my annual subscription.

14 Likes

Great 1st flight :+1: nice and smooth.

I fly in countryside like that around here, and a little tip, how I tried to get some lovely smooth turn practise is to follow the tractor lines or hedges and keep the crosshairs in the centre of the video, whilst also maintaining VLOS… :wink:

Good tip :slight_smile: Thank you. Will give that a go when the wind dies down!

3 Likes

It’s stupid windy at the moment!

I’m still somewhat of a n00b myself but any little tips I can share I will :smiley:

My first tip for a novice is to watch this video from @ianinlondon :+1:

6 Likes

As always, Ian’s video’s are full of awesome useful information. I keep them on my Plex server so I can refresh this ageing memory from time to time

3 Likes

He saved me from a £400 mistake :joy:

I guess I owe him a pint or 3. :rofl:

3 Likes

@ianinlondon - free beer pal :wink:

3 Likes

Yep, I do watch Ians great videos. Watched one just yesterday. Very helpful they are too.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Well done and thanks for posting. I’ve spent a lot of time over the last fee weeks watching footage done by Air 2S and Mavic 3 cine and I have to say on the whole I am finding the colour and images from the Air 2s much more satisfying than the Mavic 3. The Mavic 3 reviews are starting to show that it’s very much an unfinished aircraft and considering the exorbitant price and the 3 years DJI have been working on it then I think It begs the question how can the Air 2s be so good at such a low relative price. Your video really #hows what the Air 2s is capable of .

4 Likes

Really well done, so nice and smooth plus well matched music. I suspect you are now hooked/addicted. :+1:

O yes, as soon as the wind dies down I will be looking for other places to fly! Hooked.

Certainly is a good camera. I did nothing in the settings other than make sure it was going to record in 4K (Will try the 5.4K next time). Everything was on auto and exactly how it comes “out of the box”.

I think I may have altered the exposure very marginally in FCPX but I am not sure it wasn’t actually better before I did.

1 Like

Very good first flight and the video was nice and smooth especially it was was your first time. Nice to see someone taking things gradually and sensibly. It looks like a good field to start in as nothing to hit and you can pick a point to practice pans, reveals, orbits etc, then you will be itching to go somehwere with a good subject to film. If you can fly the toy drone inside then a DJI drone outside is so much easier and rewarding. Good luck for the future.

2 Likes

Just watched again on my 4K monitor (first view was on iPad) - the detail really is second to none and being nerdy I look for that sort of thing. Wonder how long it will take me to persuade my wife I need to upgrade from my mini 2?

1 Like

Great first flight, I’m just down the road from you, on the other side of Wells. Keep practicing and you’ll be itching to find the views you want to capture, plenty around here :smiley:

Thanks Chris, I will be searching them out if this wind ever stops! Any suggestions very welcome.

Hi Trev, the Gorge is very interesting place to fly, just go when there’s not to many people around though, late evening is good as you get the sun setting :+1:

Thanks Chris,

May well give that a go :slight_smile: