First shots with MiniPro3

After a few weeks of playing with the MiniPro 3, getting used to flying it and learning how to make it do what I want it to do (still sooooooo much practice needed) I have at last managed to capture a few shots of nearby lakes that I was looking forward to taking.

So much to learn - but I’ve had so much fun!

23 Likes

Great photos @grumble :smiley:

Are we allowed to know where this is? :blush:

3 Likes

Sure. I flew over the Cotswold Water Park, near Sommerford Keynes, Gloucestershire.

Loads of lakes to fly over. Spoilt for choice.

There are a couple of FRZ’s near by but I managed to fly outside of them without too much trouble.

My only concern as a new (rule abiding) drone pilot, was that one of the lakes I photographed (I think) might be privately owned. It’s a “team building” venue where Corporates get staff to kayak, build rafts etc.
Wasn’t sure if I was “allowed” to fly over it / take photos… :grimacing:

There are so many nuances to the drone flying regs, I’m still learning what is legal / questionable etc

Still beautiful place to fly and I’ll be going back.

They might well ‘own’ the lake but the sky is a free for all outside of the aforementioned FRZ’s

Thanks for that. Gives me peace of mind I’m not doing anything I shouldn’t.
I’ll head back and get some more snaps! :+1:

Thank you.

Nice first shots :slightly_smiling_face:. Where did you park and TOAL?

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

I parked at the Neigh Bridge car park (pay and display) and walked to the edge of the lake.

Found a concrete platform on the edge of the lake perfect for TOAL. :+1:

Great pictures. Looks a lovely site

1 Like

Love that last photo :+1:

Ah, that’s my neck of the woods, only 10 minutes from me. Over 170 lakes to choose from. You can fly over any one of them. All lakes sit well outside of Kemble FRZ (west) and Fairford FRZ (east).

The only thing you need to watch out for are the nature reserve ones. They’re easy to spot as they have bird hides on Google Maps.

I normally park at Waterhay car park.

Ah - you’re local to the Lakes too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks - think I got quite lucky with the light that day. Helped to bring contrast to the shots.

I was very aware of the Nature Reserves and steered clear of them.

There’s one other small airfield nearby (Oaksey) but it sits outside most of the lakes.

Will defo be flying there again soon.

Wow - I posted some of these images on my instagram account and I’ve just had 2 requests for work to photograph (posh) houses… :grimacing:

Has this happened to anyone else?

I haven’t asked for business (not sure I’m qualified or even allowed to take it on) but it’s flattering none the less.

This drone flying lark is pretty good fun!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

Get some commercial insurance and you are with your Mini 3 ;o)

The other major thing to be absolutely clear on is don’t do it for free.

1 Like

No need for being qualified. Some of the best photographers I know are “amateur” Don’t know why but some people still seem to think that amateur means not good. All it really means is you earn less than X percent of your living from it. Just be aware though that taking photos for money, while very rewarding, can be extremely demanding and challenging. You have to get it right, and you have to be very good. I done a couple of small weddings, graduations etc and it put me off photography for quite a while. It completely stole the enjoyment of my hobby and I now leave it to the pro’s. BUT, your shots above are very good and very well taken, the last pic with the reflections is a stunner IMHO. So if you can earn a couple of quid go for it. But as @milkmanchris says above, don’t sell yourself short and make sure you charge the going rate. Otherwise people will think you are there as a cheap alternative.

1 Like

Great advice. Thank you.

I can totally see how capturing images as a hobby “V” for money could ruin your enjoyment of it. I guess once there is third party expectation and money on the line, the pressure and expectation to deliver excellent results could get overwhelming.

With certain factors beyond our control (light, wind etc - and a bit of luck) a “bad day in the office” goes from being one of personal disappointment (but without consequence) - to huge pressure, stress and pissed off paying customers.

Thanks for your kind comments on my shots. I do think I was a bit lucky that day, The light was perfect for photography and the reflections image was given to me on a plate - captured a few seconds after TO and I could immediately see the composition/contrast was perfect. Don’t get lucky like that everyday.

I’d certainly be interested dipping my toe into a few paid projects if I’m asked - but like you say, there is that risk that with the pressure of delivering; it could put me off this new found hobby, which would be a real shame - coz I’m having so much fun!

Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated. :+1: