Flying conditions

Obviously I’m not going to go flying in the snow/rain etc.
But I was wondering what won’t you guys fly in?

I’m happy with up to 20mph winds and keep the drone closer than maybe normal. That way if I need to ditch it, i can.

Often thought about flying in fog/early morning mist across fields but I’m not just just how damp the mavic will get :thinking:.

1 Like

I flew in mist recently, absolutely no chance I’d risk that particular shot again seeing how damp the drone was when it came back to me.

1 Like

I have flown in sleet/snow on Spitsbergen, at minus 10, with Mavic Pro, no after effects to this day.
Would happily do it again.
And was also flying Friday in 20+ mph winds with Mavic 2 Pro, she flew like there was no wind.
Steady as a rock doing a POI.

2 Likes

The majority of the damp will blast past the drone in the prop-wash and, in my experience, the internals and motors get warm enough for any damp to soon evaporate quickly - and, as Chis says - no long term issues despite many foggy flights.
The camera is well enough sealed for there to be no issues (since I’ve stripped mine down a couple of times [for other reasons] - I can confirm this).
It’s only the outside of the body casing and motor arms that get damp, and this can be easily wiped off.

3 Likes

I’m taking my Mavic Air to lake field beach today and it supposed to be fairly windy. I’ll take my kit too, just be to prepared for both outcomes :joy:

Make sure the wind is on-shore! :wink:

1 Like

Sheringham Lifeboat Day today Tim!.
As Dave said, beware of the wind, Sport Mode very handy against the wind !.
Got me out of a few predicaments.

1 Like

I’m thinking of going for a play around some of the fishing boats that are moored up on the beach.

1 Like

Look at tide tables for today, tide has just started to come in!.

I have taken both the Mavic2 and Mavic Air up in light fog / mist and I am always surprised how the lens / gimbal is always dry and only a little damp on the upper casing for the Air. They do build up heat especially around the battery cases and the motors. As I say though, only tried in ‘Light’ mist / fog and not the heavy stuff!

2 Likes

Er? Salthouse, Blakeney, WELLS !!!, here ,now, titter, titter !.

@UnluckyTimmeh I :notes:remember a man :musical_note:with a :broom: coming cross the :beach_umbrella: what a twat e looked :notes:

It was way too windy unfortunately. I’m sure it would have flown ok. But didn’t want to risk it.

I use the UAVForecast app. Gives good detail of weather and gps’s to your location.

Yip, myself too. Yesterday it was showing 25mph with gusts of 35, so I thought better of it :joy::joy::joy:

Just wandering if cloud inversions are possible with M2Z with lower cloud base levels.