Flying in low temperatures

UK doesn’t ever get cold enough to be an issue at all despite what the media say so ultimately here just fly as normal.

For actual cold weather the only real warning ive seen on my M2P is it warning of a low battery temperature prior to flight. This was solved by carrying the battery inside a pocket and letting the motors run for a minute before take off. Once its heated up its fine.

I havent seen a similar warning on my Mini 3. Flew it yesterday in -4 and snow up a mountain with no issues at all. This is the UK - we dont really get “cold” as such.

I spent a few very pleasant hours, last evening, at the annual showing (at a local cinema) of the Mountains on Stage winter film festival.

These are films that are privately produced by extreme sports people - predominantly all in pretty extreme locations, and 3 of the 4 films were in crazy cold conditions.

All films had a large content of drone footage.

Last evening’s films’ shorts.

Still several UK screenings available (list with dates) for anyone interested, and for 2.5 hours of film totally worth the £16 ticket.

Been to the winter version (there’s also a summer version) for each of the last 6 years (well - 2021 was made available on Vimeo for the same fee during Covid19).

NONE of those films would exist if DJI drones couldn’t perform in sub-zero temps.

2 Likes

Yup, flew last night without issue. Was very bloody cold, but not much wind. No bother for the Mini 3

Took my MINI3 Pro out this morning in -4C for a flight locally, video footage and flying for about 27 minutes before coming in and landing with 23% battery left, got some cracking pre-dawn fotage too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please can anyone shed light on a warning message that came up the other week on my DJI Mini 2?

This ‘Unable to Take Off’ came up after I’d in fact had a normal take off, at about 50m altitude. I came straight back down again, control not affected and the Mini 2 beeping alarmingly. I checked the blades and none looked any different to normal, made sure no screws had loosened, did a restart, the recommended hovering, tried again, and the same thing happened. All I could think of at the time, being just after dawn at -2°C, snow on the ground, was that the cold had affected it as I haven’t flown at that temperature before - but reading your comments here that seems unlikely.

I didn’t have the chance to try again for a few days when the temperature was warmer, but when I did there was no problem, even up to 100m, and it’s been fine since, but I do feel slightly nervous at each outing…

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

@clinkadink any thoughts mate

1 Like

That error message warns you that the prop on the beeping arm is revving faster than it should to sustain lift due to either a deformation of the different prop angles (leading & trail edges), a faulty motor and on rare occasions … software.

This may been due to the sub zero temps I guess, since it performed fine in warmer temps on the next flight.

• I’d double check the props again. Make sure this are no cracks or damage of any kind.
  • If the drone has been involved in a crash previously, maybe a motor is faulty
  • You could also refresh the drones firmware in DJI assistant 2
1 Like

Many thanks for the reply!

I did check the firmware beforehand and it was OK - the previous update had only been a few days before. No crash with this drone, just over a year old, nothing obvious to see with any of the props.

I’ll keep a close eye on them - I have the unused spares that came in the box although it’ll be a new experience if I need to change one.

Now I just need low-wind days for more flights to make sure there’s no repetition….

I’d keep it low, and fly over a soft ground (long grass, etc) for the next flight or two - just to be sure.

It is very easy. You may have a tiny Philips screwdriver supplied with the drone. If not, any small precision Philips will do. Just remove the 2 screws, replace with the correct prop, i.e. clockwise or anti-clockwise. You can tell which is which because 2 props have a mark, 2 do not.

Video below …

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks again for the advice - will do - and video.

I did gently check the screws on each prop (I have a set of ‘jewellers’ screwdrivers from years ago) and they were all well snugged in. My caution comes from not having attempted a change yet, being uncertain how tight they are to loosen and knowing how much torque to apply on reattachment without causing a problem. Hopefully I won’t have to and the experience was a random hiccup.

The supplied Fly More screwdriver is actually the wrong type and size so can easily round off the screws so be careful.
Or buy the correct size on Amazon for a few pounds.

As a trouble shooting exercise you could swap the counter rotate props around (and the other) so its on another leg to see if the beeping follows the prop or not.

1 Like

DJI’s safety notice about the code 30128

Thanks for that warning. I do have a set with one that is the correct size - none of the screws were loose. I’m going to try a few low level flights when I can to check it out before attempting any adjustments - when the wind drops….

All of mine have been fine. And I have used them numerous times. No issues with rounding at all.