Flying in Menorca, Mallorca, Majorca, (Spain)

EASA and yes you will need to pass a test. Very similar to the UK test.

Strictly speaking it is the first country you fly in - but I know many take the test in ireland or Luxembourg for English options, although other nations are slowly improving the ability to take the test in English.

Surely only if they are LiPo batteries? I’ve never had this requested for the Li-Ion ones. After all they’re no different from camera batteries really.

No, pretty sure they had it right, Spain’s AESA, Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea, or State Agency of Air Safety, rather than the EU-wide EASA, European Union Aviation Safety Agency. It is quite confusingly similar.

Sorry yes.

The test is EASA however

Yes, I have had to do it on easy jet and BA

Took my drone on holiday with me last year (mini 2) and was a bit nervous about going through airport security, customs etc…but had no issues at all. Also no issues while doing my flying.
Made this video over several days while there. Hope you enjoy.

I decided to take my Mini Pro 3 to Mallorca, batteries in a LIPO bag, in hand luggage along with the controller, drone put in checked in luggage. I had done the EASA training via Luxembourg, paid for a UAS operator registration in Ireland.

I was hoping (trip with my Wife for context) to pop out at sunrise for a few shots and later in the day etc. We were staying near Son Matias beach - Palmanova / Magaluf. Sadly this didn’t happen because when I checked the correct website (not done before trip!) which is this one (link should go to my location) - Spanish ENAIRE shows: ALERT: controled airspace: CTR PALMA DE MALLORCA . The flight of RPAS is prohibited. I probably could have requested permission from ATC but I couldn’t have done that during the trip, have you seen how busy PMI is!

I then took the drone, in my bag to Soller thinking it will be OK but on checking the website it shows: You are in a natural protected area. You must consult possible restrictions and/or specific authorizations from the protected area with responsible of the management: Contact: Illes Balears. again no time to do this when on trip.

I looked at Alcudia to fly and this appears alculated on 05/10/2023, 15:17:04
ALERT: You are in the safety area of an aerodrome: MALLORCA/Pollensa , LEPO. Drones are NOT allowed except coordination with the aerodrome. TEL: +34-971 865 450 - Granted the Alcudia area looks more promising but zoom in and the bird warning appears.

Anyway I had spend enough time on my trip looking for areas to fly and abandoned the idea completely and enjoyed some time with my Wife.

Moral of this story is plan down to the hour when and where you want to fly, don’t rely on any old database for flying permissions but the actual country you want to fly in. Seek permissions well in advance.

I want to do everything correctly especially abroad as I don’t fancy getting tapped on the shoulder by one of the many flavours of Spanish authority types.

I didn’t see a single drone in the sky during my trip.

1 Like