Flying in Romania?

Hi Everyone,
I’m going to Northern Romania for the new year (long story). I fancy taking my MA along as the scenery looks stunning up in the hills. I will be away from any big towns etc… Does anybody have any experience taking a drone into the country and flying around? Any permits needed or anything? Do you reckon as long as I keep to the usual drone code rules Ill be ok?
Thanks.

I’ve never flown in Romania but here are the rules:

• To fly a drone in Romania, you must register it with the AACR. If you are a foreigner, it appears that a registration with your country of citizenship could take the place of registering with the AACR, but we recommend checking with the AACR to confirm this before travelling.
  • In addition to registering, each flight must be pre-approved by the Ministry of Defense.
  • Drones may not be flown over densely populated areas and crowds of people or in cities. For special exceptions to these restrictions, an application may be made to the AACR.
  • Drones may not be flown higher than 300 meters (984 feet).
  • Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times.
  • For drones weighing more than 20 kilograms (44 pounds) insurance is mandatory.
  • To conduct aerial photography/videography, an application must be submitted to and approved by the AACR. More information can be obtained by calling +421 4106390 or faxing +4 021 4102695. Here is the application form.

For more information on Romania’s drone laws, see this page on the RCAA website.

Hope this helps and have a great time

Thanks Alex. I wonder how tough they will be on the registering each flight. I dont speak Romanian, so that could cause a few problems. I was just wandering how strict they tend to be on this. The rest I reckon should be OK!

Well, I’m in no position to answer that, sorry. Have you taken a drone on an airplane before?

Do a YouTube search of the place you’re going to - be as specific as you can + drone. See what it brings up.

Check the customs regs for Romania and see if they let drones in, some don’t I saw Mavic Pros being confiscated last time I went through Dubai International, so it’s always worth a check.

Quite interesting read (forget what I said above)