Flying in South Wales

Hi all,
I’ve not owned a drone now for nearly a couple of years and am thinking of getting a Mini 2 or 3. I know rules have changed somewhat but I live South Wales and pretty much everywhere near me seems to be a “High Risk” area according to the Drone Assist map (see attached). I live near the pin and I don’t know if the large area is a no-go area or a ‘just be careful’ area. I know the airports are obviously off limits but it’s the larger area that I’m worried about.
Can anyone from around here offer any advice?

I live just down the road in Bridgend and frequently (when I can that is) fly in these areas.

When in the FRZ I do call Cardiff ATC and check / advise but as the area I fly is restricted due to RAF St Athans rather than Cardiff Airport, then as you probably know, it is pretty much closed to planes but it never hurts to phone and advise.

The area out to sea is frequently used as test flight areas after plane servicing, but again, a call to the ATC is best, and then as you head towards Wick and the lighthouse then flying there is no issue, just be aware of frequent coastguard helicopter flights and training.

If you look at GADC’s ‘Where to fly your drone’ you can see a lot of my flight areas listed around there and one in it: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Aberthaw Lime Works - Everything Else in Wales

A lot of that is Class D that does not apply to us drone folk

Check out our very own DroneScene for a better planning experience

1 Like

Thanks guys. I just assumed that I couldn’t fly anywhere in the larger area and the new information (thanks to you guys) changes everything!

Its just “be aware”. There are no restrictions flying in that area where the pin is located, only closer in.

To avoid confusion, turn off ATZ, CTA, class D in Drone Assist. They’re not relevant to drone users.

FWIW in that area the aircraft will be at a circuit height of 1200ft MSL (1000ft above aerodrome) so should be on no issue at all for a drone flight operating at most 400ft AGL outside the restriction zone.

No need to call ATC, no need to do anything, just fly within the rules and stay out of the actual restriction zone closer in.

Can not find the class D setting.

In what?

1 Like

Or use as above, DroneScene.

1 Like

Advanced settings in DA.

NATs Drone Assist.

NATS stopped backing and supporting the (now-Altitude Angel) Drone Assist app over a year ago :shushing_face:

1 Like

Still has the AA data which is the nearest thing to official.

As does DroneScene, and is recommended by the CAA :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Which woks “ok” on a desktop but isnt as fast or neat on a small phone screen in the field on a mobile browser.

Well you can’t please everyone.

Any feature requests please remember to submit them.

1 Like

Been seeing a myth going around lately that Class D/CTRs you can only fly sub-250s as well.

A lot of newbies around, which is great.

But a little knowledge and too much internet is a dangerous combination

1 Like

Features aren’t a problem. Its just far laggier performance in a web browser than a standalone app. Makes in-field use less practical.

What OS and browser are you using ?

Thank you for the feedback , we are always trying to improve performance

Firefox and chrome on Android 12/13.

Ultimately when you add a few fair layers the scrolling and updates becomes very laggy.

1 Like