Flying in the Trough of Bowland

Hi, as a newby, I apologise if this has been asked before, but I want clarification on flying and filming where I live.
I live in Bowland, in the North West, in the middle of a farm and am lucky to have a 2 acre field adjacent to our house. I want clarification please to see if I can fly from the field and then over adjacent farm land. So long as I am a minimum of 30 meters from adjacent land for take off, then keep above the 50m rule, and I do not photograph the neighbours or scare the animals, if that legal? The CAA rules don’t seem very clear on this point.
I want to get some video of the countryside, and of our house from the air. The videos will include images of other properties obviously, but not directly, and not of any individuals, or at least, not intentionally.
I would appreciate someones view on this please
Thanks

Perfectly ‘legal’ as long as you are not in a NFZ.

3 Likes

Thank you, and no I’m not.

1 Like

I’d suggest talking to your neighbours and maybe show them a bit of footage explaining it’s not intrusive and you’re not spying on them!
A lot easier to be proactive and have that conversation to educate them before they see/hear you and make up their own minds… Plus they’re bound to be impressed at how beautiful their home neighborhood looks from above!

2 Likes

Nothing for miles around @MarkF

You can drill down in to the details here:

1 Like

I would if they were reasonable, but they’re not unfortunately

1 Like

Bugger… sounds like mine!

I’ll shut up, sounds like you’re doing everything you can to stay safe of any complaints that might arise :wink:

Reminds me of a post I saw on mavicpilots.com- non flying US dude joined as allegedly his brother was allegedly being terrorised my multiple drones at night and he wanted to know the legalities of if he could shoot them down!!! Obviously not the kind of post to create on a drone site!!!

1 Like

LOL

Just check for any notams in the area you are flying in esp military low flying ones :+1:

1 Like

Perfectly legal, you know the rules, you have shown that. I’m in Morecambe and have been up to the T o B and flown. Stunning scenery, follow what you have said and they will have no recourse.

How’s the whitewell hotel looking these days ??

Was there a few months ago, still excellent. But it’s shut now of course

Just looking at the notams web site. Looks complicated

1 Like

The company I work for we did a 6 bed extension on the ribble side of it right on the bank lol spend best part of 6 months there

1 Like

If you’re above 50m nobody can hear your drone anyway, or do I need hearing aids?

When I was a young bobby in the 60’s, I was on motor cycles based at Nelson/Accrington. At weekend we used to cover the Trough Road from Whalley to Lancaster. Some beautiful countryside around there. Always enjoyed it AND I WAS GETTING PAID FOR IT AS WELL!! , which was a bonus.

4 Likes