Flying near Ripon army camp?

I’m just wondering if I’ll be ok flying my MM near the camp. My friend lives just north of the camp and I’d be flying in his fields at the back of his house. I don’t want to get my collar felt or my drone shot down by the MOD.

I would say flying over such a property will most likely result in having your collar felt in one way or another. Flying in the vicinity, at a sensible distance, shouldn’t be an issue.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Just to add to the above the Nidderdale model flying club have for years flown from a field opposite the main gate of RAF Menwith Hill.

Nidge.

1 Like

The Nidderdale flying club strip can be seen here by Heck Gill.

Nidge.

Not wanting to fly over the area. The fields are north of the camp and kirby road.

I’m sure even an online mention will flag up the early warning systems there

Good bowling alley and bar there though :wink:

2 Likes

I worked there for 25 years. Shortly after I retired all the support facilities, bowling, commissary, etc, were shut down.

Nidge.

I remember going as a teenager when the Americans had the place, good times and cheap levis ;o)

1 Like

Unless anything has changed I think Rippon is only home to 21 Engineer Regiment, nothing secretive unless you are gathering Intel on JCBs.

1 Like

Military bases are classed in the same bracket as Airfields so I’d be careful about flying near these.

1 Like

As you are flying a DJI Mavic and you have set it up correctly and is all up to date you will find that you will not be able to fly over the camp. All military establishments are DJI Self Authorised Zones. When you launch you will be warned on the DJI Fly App that you are near a self authorised zone. Cancelling the alert will allow you fly near but not over the camp. As long as you remain outside the yellow zone, you will be fine… so long as you are sticking to the drone code anyway. :grinning:

2 Likes

@Shambleclown. Thank you for the info. Will be flying in the fields outside the yellow zone. :+1: :+1: