Flying on private property

You need A2CofC (theory) to invoke A1 transitional for a homebuild or legacy a/c. Or so it seems to me.

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are incredibly useful and have given me different options to consider!

I know that the definition of a model aircraft in section 7.1 says it’s:
“An unmanned aircraft used for sporting and recreational purposes”

So at first glance you think that education is out … it’s just sporting and recreational purposes … darn it.

But then Section 3.8 says:
“The operation of model aircraft for purposes other than sport, recreation, education or demonstration, places the operation outside the definition of a model aircraft, and therefore this authorisation may not be used for such operations.”

So perhaps Article 16 can be used for flights carried out for the purposes of education too ?

With fpv UK there is a extra bit in the insurance about this for a extra £12 you can gat insurance that covers education research and YouTube videos for example.

Yes but you have to get the extra insurance it’s £12 per year it covers education research even YouTube videos but not working directly for money. It’s on there website.

Hmmm… what exactly are “educational purposes?”

Research (an experiment) for university may not be covered if they mean showing schoolkids a drone in a demo.

The easiest approach to me feels like finding a very big field in the middle of no-where and maintaining the 150m separation.

The OA framework does give some flexibility and PDRA02 is for experimental aircraft however… CAP722 has a model OSC for this sort of stuff and it’s quite a bit of work. (I have just updated my PfCO to OA using PDRA01 as the basis for my OSC and even though I do compliance work for a living I still sweated over the OSC update for far too long).

Maybe you could find a commercial operator with a suitable OA and/or a test ground who would do the flying bit for you? Might be the lowest cost option if you cannot find a large field in the middle of no-where.

GC

Article 16 is not in that doc or I’m missing it . Article 16 is amended every year and evolves so hard to put in docs because technically I only lasts 12 months then it gets renewed.

No article 16 override legacy I’ll post proof.

2 Likes

You could go with bmfa they cover that amount.

It’s in this summary (May, this year), though: Section A, para 1.2 is explicit.

Link, sorry.

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/article-16