Flying right on the border of a FRZ which is RAF

To request permission to operate a drone near our airfield, please email BEN-DRONES@mod.gov.uk.

1 Like

Ah brilliant
Many thanks

1 Like

You don’t ring your insurance company if you were driving your car 29m away from the edge of a ditch on the A580.

The analogies are endless :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I know
Just didn’t want to be that bad guy giving drones a bad name because of a stupid mistake but I see what your saying……

1 Like

A thread perhaps ?

Its 183 miles from me, don’t bother with the email though @Kirky I’m ok with your flight as its as relevant to the FRZ here as it is there ;o)

No you don’t.
But if you later want to fly inside their FRZ it would be helpful to let them know youre not a twat and a responsible/considerate operator. Absolutely no need to though.

1 Like

I’d let them know that at the time.

I had to do a drone survey down in the Midlands before Christmas and rang Birmingham airport ATC just let them know as I was operating on the fringe of their zone. They confirmed that I didn’t need formal permission (which I knew anyway) but thanked me for calling and advising of the planned flight and said if I call again just before lifting off they would check the local area for any known helicopter traffic etc which I thought was nice of them.

Many thanks ….

Hi, I guess I’d like to know how to do that just in case. Did you mean creating the report via a website? Via a phone app? Which one(s)?

Update: this converstation prompted me to create another Q&A topic: Must-have apps?

Click the Hamburger top right in Dronescene

You can submit a flight report

2 Likes

Thanks @Sparkyws i thought you could but again as I’ve never had too, I wasn’t confident, thanks

@Sparkyws it says I need altitude angel account.
so I need too set one up.

1 Like

Thanks Wayne I’ll set one up.

1 Like

Done it, it’s there when I go to drone scene.

Also available in the AppStore ( which I didn’t know ) so I’ve downloaded it.

That’s a great tool, so once I’ve submitted my report do I have to wait for confirmation / go ahead ?

No…you are informing everyone else about your planned flight

only if you ask it twice :joy:

& some :person_facepalming:t2::joy:

1 Like

This year I was flying my drone very close to an active runway for the Navy.

Had full permission, yet helicopters were still taking off! I had cleared my take off with the control tower before I launched and when I was back down. I could hear the helicopters very clearly!

Got stopped by military security - who knew nothing of my flights - but when they saw my paperwork shook my hand and said enjoy my flight.

This photo shows how close I was! (not zoomed in)