Following a vehicle

My attempt to follow a slow moving vehicle with smooth movements. Very difficult. This is the raw file which I thought I’d lost. Some bits where I lost track of them.

This was my son and wife and daughter leaving after a 3 week visit where we did loads of work on their van. They are going travelling in Europe for another 3 years.

4 Likes

I like the overall idea however it would probably be even better with some music

1 Like

This was, as he said, direct off the drone without edit … purely for the “how to better follow in these circumstances” discussion. :wink:

Personally, this is something where I’d use Litchi … research and save the route and the angles beforehand, and set the mission with a zero speed … to create what is often referred to as a “zip-wire mission”.
Once that is done, you only have to worry about controlling the speed to match that of the van.

3 Likes

I liked what you were trying to do there, I’ve got to say some nice autumnal colours in the frost, the only bit I found difficult was at the end! was who on earth was wearing shorts in that weather!! :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

They were there only to see who watched to the end, I reckon. :wink:

2 Likes

<insert “soft southerners” joke here> :wink:

3 Likes

that’s why you’ll only here simple jokes down here?

1 Like

It’s just the raw file, haven’t edited it at all. My son will add some bits of it to their travel blog.

2 Likes

Exactly, Dave. I’m still trying to master the combination of two camera moves at the same time and can’t often get it right.

2 Likes

Been there - same results, often. :wink:

It’s not by chance that drones like the Inspire come with dual controls - one for the pilot and one for the cameraman.

Though - coordinating those two people must introduce some fun! :wink:

2 Likes

I like that idea. Never tried a mission at zero speed. How do you then control the speed? Forward stick? And could you adjust it so that it flew backwards in front of the vehicle? Now that would be cool!

I must say it was all done at the last minute. no time to plan anything.

1 Like

That’s our crazy next door neighbour who came out to see what was going on. He’s a Kiwi and will prolly be in the shorts until it gets really cold in January!

Yes - right stick controls speed - forwards through the mission, back for reversing through the mission.

You can set up the mission and angles in any direction … forward stick still goes forwards though the mission …. irrespective of camera heading.

Used it for tracking cars in the past …. set up the course to avoid trees that seem to always alternate as to which side of the road they are. :wink:

Must have a go at that. Sounds like fun.

1 Like

Blimey I misread what you put, I thought you said it was your son and (your) wife and daughter going travelling round europe for two years. All I could think of is “how did you swing that one”? Now I think I’ve read it correctly and it makes more sense but less fun

1 Like

Haha Richard, I can see why it would read like that. That would be very strange. What would I do in the meantime? Fly my drone I suppose! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve probably asked this before, can you manually fly a flight on Litchi and then have Litchi save that flight as a mission for next time?

Yes indeed! … errrr … kind of.

You actually fly to each waypoint and save it, rather than fly the actual route. “Curved” missions actually don’t fly to the waypoints … since that would create an angle at each point.

Once you have the waypoints, it’s easy to tweak the curve radii to create what you want.

1 Like

You could fly it and use the gps track (extracted from the log) in Google Earth with the Litchi track superimposed to tweak it, too.

1 Like