FPV: My Experience and kit list (with links)

I’m sure once all this covid crap is done with and out the way myself @notveryprettyboy and @Steviegeek would be up for a trip down south for a flying meetup where we can all exchange knowledge and pass on our experiences. I’ve got a 2.5inch toothpick build in the pipe line but like yourself all the parts are still out to see somewhere lol

Look forward to seeing some of your flight footage :+1:t2: top tip avoid angle mode if you’re wanting to learn freestyle as it will give you bad habits dive straight into acro it’s a steep learning curve but trust me worth every crash and repair to make you a better poilt :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Cheers. Yeah, I did a couple of angle mode flights initially to just get it in the air but went straight to acro after that and wobbled around the field a bit, despite being reasonably proficient in the sim - I blame real life nerves. I even flew under a goalpost! (at about 4mph :wink: )

2 Likes

Perfect! I’ve only been flying FPV for less than a year but loving every minute of it. Shame lockdown has put a stop to it at the moment but oh well.

I seem to have added this one to my kit list today as Covid & crap weather are certainly limiting to outdoor flying atm, and I need the practice - grabbed a BetaFPV 65s Lite. I’m definitely blaming @Jase_MK for this one - he lent me his, then I had to give it back. I’m trying acro on this as it’s apparently fairly docile - yeah, right! And I’ve tried a couple of times on the Nazgul doing some flips and rolls - a long way up. Lots of practice required definitely.

2 Likes

Whoops are pretty much the only FPV quads that I do fly in angle mode lol and my Eashine US65PRO I had to put a 50% throttle limit on it in beta flight to actually fly it indoors lol although it does run on 2s so it’s a powerhouse lol

1 Like

If you get bored and want to fiddle, try a Project Mockingbird tune. It’s a betaflight setup for whoops and makes them slippery smooth. I put it on my qx65 and it flew so much smoother.

3 Likes

My Tyro79 arrived yesterday. Not too bad - only a couple of weeks to arrive from China. Unfortunately the wing I ordered before Christmas is still out at sea somewhere.

Tyro79 looks great. I put it together last night reasonably easily. Just waiting for some batteries and a receiver which should be here today or tomorrow, then I guess I’ll be able to… erm… do a hover test in my garden and that’s about it right now :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My frame, flight controller, esc, fpv cam, vtx and rx got delivered yesterday for my toothpick build. Just waiting on motors now that are currently in the post from banggood so god knows when they will be delivered :rofl:

Once I’ve recieved all the parts keep your eyes peeled as I’ll put up a build thread as I start my first ever build. Being a toothpick the soldering is going to be a challenge lol nothing like jumping into the deep end :rofl:

3 Likes

We’ll look forward to that Dean :+1:

1 Like

Look forward to the build Deano :+1:t2: How are you doing mate? Recovering well? Are you out of isolation yet?

1 Like

Yeah I’m all good now thanks mate, back at work travelling up and down the country fixing photocopiers again because every business is ignoring government guidelines and are not working from home this time round and they think their printer is worth risking life for. But I’ve got a mortgage to pay so its put up and shut up unfortunately. Least from what I’ve heard I’ve got 5 months of immunity to covid now that I’ve had it and beat it. So silver lining I guess :man_facepalming:t2: :rofl:

2 Likes

We’ll keep rooting for you mate :smile:
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re all good mate :+1:t2: Shame about the businesses all thinking their photocopying privileges are worth a life but I think most businesses are thinking like that now :confused:

That’s true make the most of it Deano :rofl:

1 Like

I’m looking to buy my first fpv I don’t want to go too mad with price just something to home my skills any ideas

1 Like

The first post here has a lot of recommendations?

There’s one or two more here too:

1 Like

@Goddardn01 What are your goals for FPV? Cinematic flying? Long range cruising? Freestyle tricks or Racing? Then there is tiny whoops (these are great for indoor flying) This question will ultimately determine what type of quad you’ll want to look at.

Cinematic flying you will want to look into Cinewhoops.

Long range cruising you will want to look into 7inch frames.

Freestyle you will want to look into 5inch frames typically with a top mounted battery.

Racing quads would be between 3 and 5 inch frames typically with a bottom mounted battery.

Tiny whoops are usually small indoor flyers and are great fun to fly around the house and annoy the wife kids and pets with.

Do you have any RC kit at all or are you starting from complete scratch? If you’ve flown planes or helicopters in the past then the Radio transmitter may well work with a quad so would be one less thing to buy.

Any questions let us know, there are a few FPV nutters on this forum who would be willing to help bring new blood into the hobby :+1:t2:

3 Likes

@SirGunner started my build thread here

I’ve just listed the parts that I have selected at the moment but will update the thread as I start to build it. Once I get the time to sit down and actually start putting it all together. Lol :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like