My entry.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Whereā€™s @DeanoG60 ā€¦.come on mate !

1 Like

Lovely shot @clinkadink. Hereā€™s my attemptā€¦

5 Likes

My first comp entry of 2023ā€¦

(just scrolled up and noticed that Iā€™ve managed to land on almost exactly the same crop as @SirGunner ā€¦ coincidence, I swear :wink: )

2 Likes

@Stomper

Hi, as soon as I saw the original I thought of star gates, and this is where that thought went.

Done in PS with support from two starry images from unsplash, Casey Homer on unsplash and Denis Degioanni on unsplash, hope thatā€™s appropriate

Do you have an image you want as an entry? If so you better get cracking as chucking out time is 7pm

1 Like

HI, that was it :-), I thought this was open to all form of edits, my bad if not and no worries if thatā€™s not the case.

Thanks

Sorry Nigel, there have been a few changes made whilst I was trying to make things more engaging for you guys, and easier for me to manage. So things may have got a little confused. For this comp, and all others following, we are not allowed to ADD anything from an external source, you can clone out and remove as much stuff as you like. You still have time though. Jugding by some of the entries weā€™ve had in so far, an hour and twenty minutes should be enough to smash it out the park mate!!! :rofl:
Sorry peeps, couldnā€™t resist

And while Iā€™m here, come on @DeanoG60 please put an entry in?

Please vote for up to 3 edits. Please do not vote for your own entry, you will be disqualified.
Voting will end automatically a week from now.
Yes I am fully aware that an entry has got stuff included. But I am partly to blame on that score for d!(Ā£!ng about with the format too many times. The vote is completely up to the membership. So on this occasion, YOU can decide by using your vote!!! In otherwords, PLEASE donā€™t fill this up with messages or sending ChallCom DMā€™s to complain, vote for itā€¦or donā€™t.
(And yes, I mean that in the nicest possible way :smiling_face: )
[/quote]

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN!

And The Poll is Open!!!
  • Kirky
    1.Kirky

• Kings
    3.Kings

• Sirgunner
    4.SirGunner

• Stubbyd
    5.Stubbyd

• Acedrone

• Jhdee
    7.Jhdee

• Earwig
    8.Earwig

• mynameisjoe
    9.mynameisjoe

• Sandbagger
    10.Sandbagger

• Stomper
    11.Stomper

• macspite
    12.macspite

• Onanist
    13.Onanist

• D0c.Col
    14.D0c.Col

• Firstadekit
    15.firstadekit

• Drumsagard
    16.Drumsagard

• rustybarnet
    17.rustybarnet

• Sparkyws
    18.Sparkyws

• JoeC
    19.JoeC

• Aldric
    2.Aldric

0 voters

The votes are in and all is set in stone!!!

Well done to all that entered on what was a very challenging comp. All was in the shadows and everyone managed to lift @clinkadink photo up to reveal the hidden detail.

In a worthy Third place is John @Drumsagard
2nd place goes to another fine edit from Andy @rustybarnet
But topping the lot is Joe @JoeC :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another thread shall be opened shortly, where @JoeC shall be invited to provide a pic for us to mutilate for the next round. And if you wouldnā€™t mind Andy, we would love to hear any thoughts you can share on how, and why, you arrived at the edit you presented.
Keep ā€˜em cominā€™ cowboys (and cowgirls if you want to)

3 Likes

Well done @JoeC, @rustybarnet and @Drumsagard :clap: for their winning edits. And to everybody else too. I can recall editing that myself last year, and it was a tough one due to the low light. Congrats :clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Well done to the winners and to all who gave it a go :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Iā€™m a bit red-faced here as it seems like I somehow managed to forget to vote myself :man_facepalming:

As far as what I did goes, given that I forgot to vote youā€™ll probably forgive me for not remembering the exact process! I HDR-merged the photos in Lightroom and did the initial crop.

After some initial tweaks to the exposure and curve adjustments, I applied a mask to the sky and increased the white balance to bring out the yellows and oranges. And then applied a separate mask to the monument to lift some of the details by boosting the shadows and adding some clarity.

Unfortunately thatā€™s about all I can recall. Fairly sure it was a late night editā€¦ :joy:

Finally congrats to @JoeC and @Drumsagard for their entries, as well as everyone else who submitted entries. This ā€œfun and friendlyā€ comp is getting very competitive!

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks everybody. Itā€™s been a busy week (and itā€™s my wifeā€™s birthday today) so Iā€™d completely lost track of things. What an excellent surprise, especially given the field of entries - really excellent all round :slight_smile: :+1:

Iā€™ve lost my notes on what exactly I did, but it was very similar to Andyā€™s brilliant edit - merged the HDR and then did some initial overall adjustment of exposure and temperature before I did some more tweaking on masked areas. Started with the sky to get the orange out. Then an inverse mask on the sky intersected with an object mask to subtract the stones which I used to change the colour temperature of the grass to bring in a bit of the orange, and also dropped the saturation a bit so it wasnā€™t as distracting. Final mask was of just the stones (object mask) to take out some of the brightness and grey. Then worked out the crop I liked before going in for a little bit more overall tweaking of shadows and highlights.

1 Like

Congrats to @JoeC and @rustybarnet great edits guys :+1: Plus everyone else, some great edits! :+1: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes