GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - April - Winner declared!

@group-challenges

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - April

Welcome to the competition with a simple aim - to create the picture showing the highest standard of aerial photography to grace the GADC Drone Pilots’ Calendar. The images need to illustrate the essence of the month of April

We can’t promise good weather, April being renowned for those showers that bring forth May flowers but, if you are stuck indoors for a while, you can always research some ideas here!

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - Rules

The requirement is to submit a still image in landscape format that illustrates the month in the competition title. The competition is open from 00:01 on the first day to 22:00 on the last day of each month and images for that month must be captured and posted within that time period

The image must obviously be taken by a drone in flight, images that the committee consider do not meet this condition will not be entered into the poll for the winners. That means images noticeably higher than a normal person’s eye line, please.

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry before the end of the month otherwise the last image you have posted will be used. Basically, if you have a selection of images illustrating the subject, have the courage of your convictions, exercise your editorial judgement and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

Aircraft/camera used
Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for a single image by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the last day of each month.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for only one of the entries. DO NOT vote for your own, you may be excluded from entering the competition again,

In the event of a tie a second, single-choice poll for the disputed images only, open for 24 hours and open to all will decide the winner

Further information or the original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Entrants are encouraged to add their images to Drone Scene if the flight will be of interest to other pilots. Accompanying notes regarding the TOAL point, access and parking plus any further local information will be appreciated.

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowner’s wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

The committee reserve the right to modify these rules at any time and for any reason

1 Like

Look’s like I’m first up :upside_down_face:

Taken this morning at sunrise, a pic looking across Dean wood golf course, out towards Orrell,Bolton and Rivington.
The golfy had a covering of frost, the leaves on the trees just starting to pop out and Rivington Pike in the distance was draped in mist.

Upholland. Parliament st,
070423 07;27
Dji Air 2s

7 Likes

With an enchanting view captivating yellows and green
A Spring entry, I sought, using natures seasonal scene
I positioned the lens to create an atmospheric composition
whilst wishing for votes in the Aprils calendar competition

I’m a poet but I didn’t know it! :laughing:
Taken 15 April 2023 at Penkridge, Staffordshire with mini 3 Pro
ISO 100
No filter
EV -3.7 Step
5 x bracketed DNGs merged and edited in LrC.

8 Likes

Entry-April
Sibsey Traders Mill

Taken 1752 25th april 2023 Sibsey Lincolnshire

8 Likes

Entry

B1149 near Cawston, Norfolk

Taken today (25th April) at 15.00 with the DJI Mini 2.

5 Likes

It’s not very April, but the best I have for this challenge!

April 18th, 5pm ish DJI Mini 3 Pro

Eardington Bank, Bridgnorth. Severn Valley Railway

4 Likes

@group-challenges

Just a quick reminder that April is rapidly slipping through our fingers - only a few days to go before the April round of the calendar competition closes so get those entries in!

Taken this evening, a Spring sunset over Morecambe Bay. The gulls must have been having too much fun paddlind in the water to be bothered by a drone.
Mini 2 auto exposure.

7 Likes

Morecambe Bay in the April sunshine

Looking North from Rossall Point near Fleetwood. Heysham power station visible across the bay at upper right.

Screenshot from 4K60 video, DJI Mavix Air2, taken 25/04/23 around 17:25

7 Likes

This can’t be Morecombe, the tide is in.

Was going to take an image, but got a full card message earlier.

Then realised this morning that somehow I had my dashcam card in the drone! No idea how long it has been like that :rofl:

Balloon over Lamport, Northamptonshire.
Looking towards Yelvertoft Wind Farm.

• Time and date : 07:29am 4th April 2023
  • Aircraft/camera used : DJI Mini3 pro

10 Likes

April Entry.

Blossom Roundabout .
Hunslet, Leeds
26/04/2023 - 18:31.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.

7 Likes

A pic looking across Dean wood golf course, out towards Orrell, Bolton and Rivington.
The golfy had a covering of frost, the leaves on the trees just starting to pop out and Rivington Pike in the distance was draped in mist.

Upholland. Parliament st,
070423 07;27
Dji Air 2s

This is just a retouch of my original post

MY ENTRY.

3 Likes

What a palaver! And now Dogzilla is leaping up ad down and growling at me because the Archers has just finished which means it is her dinnertime …

As explained somewhere else in the Challenges complex, I use GIMP. Which is not set up for *.dng files nor for working with HDR sets. So I managed to get Darktable installed and working and then install the exposure blend plug-in while Dogzilla starts demanding attention. Except I can place it in the scripts directory because, although it#s my PC., my copy of Windows, me that’s installing the plugin and I am a bloody admin of my own setup it won’t save - “You must be an administrator to save …”

(One ravening beast placated with a large bowl of WuffitMix, one internet trawled to find out how to change specific folder permissions to allow install)

So here it is, my first attempt at High Dynamic range:

Mavic Air 2
19:08, 15/04/2023
1/1000 sec, f2.8, no filters

The Robert Tracy on her mooring, Fishery Creek, Hayling Island

7 Likes

Bluebells in Micheldever Woods
(Micheldever Woods, Hampshire - Spring Bluebells - Meandering Wild)

Taken : 29th April @ 10:36 am
Micheldever Woods (main car park is here )
DJI Mini 2:
1/400 ss @f/2.8, ISO : 100
Height : ~ 7m

I was initially planning on taking the photographs looking straight down, but they look a lot better side on. At ground level it’s just a carpet of bluebells.

The Sun caught the Mini 2 and I managed to grab this, the GPS signal was quite strong here as I was close to the edge of the woods and the drone kept its position well, not the case earlier in the morning and that made things entertaining.

The vinyl needs some attention :slight_smile:

5 Likes

April Entry
Location - Holy Trinity Church by the River Avon in Stratford Upon Avon in the early morning spring sunshine.
Date - 25th April 2023 @ 07:11am
Mavic 3 Classic
The Collegiate Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity in Stratford-upon-Avon is Stratford’s oldest building and was built on the site of an earlier Saxon monastery. William Shakespeare was baptised here and was also buried there on the 25th April 1616 (purely a coincidence that I photographed it on the 25th April).

6 Likes

Not your usual stomping ground John @Drumsagard

1 Like

My wife and I spent the past week in Stratford, a really lovely place. Only managed to get out one morning but it was a glorious one, cold though, 1 degree as the sun was rising with a touch of frost on the ground.

1 Like

A view over the farm fields from Partington

Taken 29/04/23 with Dji Mini 3 pro

Iso 200 48MP 1/3000

6 Likes