GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - January Vote for the Winner

@group-challenges

The next month of the calendar competition is upon us. It’s very simple - take a picture that best illustrates the subject of January. You have the full month to do this so no excuses about weather or pressure of work please :slight_smile:

GADC Calendar Pilots Competition - Rules

The requirement is to submit a still image in landscape format that illustrates the month in the competition title. The competition is open from 00:01 on the first day to 22:00 on the last day of each month and images for that month must be captured and posted within that time period

The image must obviously be taken by a drone in flight, images that the committee consider do not meet this criteria will not be entered into the poll for the winners. That means images noticeably higher than a normal person’s eyeline, please.

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry before the end of the month otherwise the last image you have posted will be used. Basically, if you have a selection of images illustrating the subject, have the courage of your convictions, exercise your editorial judgement and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

Aircraft/camera used
Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Entrants are encouraged to add their images to Drone Scene with accompanying notes regarding the area that will be of use to other pilots.

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for a single image by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the last day of each month.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for only one of the entries. DO NOT vote for your own, you may be excluded from entering the competion again,

In the event of a tie a second, single choice poll for the disputed images only, open for 24 hours and open to all will decide the winner

Further information or the original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.
Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

The committee reserve the right to modify these rules at any time and for any reason

2 Likes

Voting for the December Winner is here

Here’s my entry:

This is the First Breath art installation by Luke Jerram, at the Factory International site in Manchester. The photo was taken at 8.35pm on 8th January, using a DJI Mini 2.

What has this got to do with January? The installation is running from 1st to 29th January 2023, and the light beams pulse in a way intended “to represent the moment that a baby takes its first gasp of air”. At ground level, it is accompanied with screens showing slides of new babies born within Greater Manchester during the first month of 2023.

10 Likes

My entry

Location - Watch Tree Nature Reserve
Time and date - 16/1/23 - 8:30
Aircraft/camera used DJI Mini 3 Pro

Drone Scene

Watchtree Nature Reserve ex RAF Great Orton ex madcow burial site ex driving school ex glider club, Its been a lot of things in its lifetime. Its also just a great place to go for a walk and get outside

There is parking onsite which is free. Also a you can hire bikes or take your own and cycle round.

Plus a café, what more could you want???

8 Likes

The Game is off:

Taken on the 21st Jan 2023 11:06 am
Zebon Copse community centre playing fields, Church Crookham, Hants.
DJI Mini 2
1/320 ss @ f2.8, ISO 100, ND4

It was just below 0 and bright sunshine when I left home heading for the Basingstoke Canal that’s close to these playing fields, which I wanted to focus on for the 5x5 challenge. I didn’t make it that far as the sun hadn’t penetrated the fog over this area and the heavy frost was still clinging on making this scene look really uninviting, I wouldn’t want to try and play on this field either.

There was next to no colour in the original, hence switching to b&w, this just feels like January.

6 Likes

@kvetner Fantastic photo, building looks like an angry robot glaring at the laser show! :grin:

2 Likes

Charlton Abbotts, Gloucestershire

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: Saturday, 21 Jan 2023, 15:41

Most of Gloucestershire was covered by low cloud last Saturday, and due to the sub-zero temperature, it was an ideal opportunity to capture this cloud inversion.

10 images taken in manual (pro) mode, 2 x AEB [5 sets], ISO 100, Shutter 1/500 - 1/3200, no filters. Merged to a top/bottom HDR pano in PS.

8 Likes

Tewkesbury Flood, Gloucestershire

• Drone: Mini 3 Pro
  • Date: Monday, 16 Jan 2023, 16:17

Flood waters remained high around Tewkesbury in January with a number of red warnings in place from the Environment Agency. I headed up there just in time to get some Golden Hour shots of the flood. The River Servern and River Avon have both burst their banks, filling the plains in between.

2 x AEB [5 sets], ISO 100, no filters, manual HDR pano in PS.

10 Likes

Newport
Mini 3 Pro
Jan 26 at 3:10pm

I was just flying around my local park on the second flight of my replacement drone when I saw this, first thoughts were close encounters of the 3rd kind…
Then I just enjoyed the view. I had taken a few pics of this at diff times ( it was like that for over half an hour) but this was the best capture in my opinion, I did a aeb 5 pic capture then combined in neo hdr and did minimal colour grading.

6 Likes

Entry

City Center, Leeds.
21/1/2023 - 20:24.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1.6s, 0ev.

Taken last Saturday when mist, fog ,low cloud descend over Leeds on a cold January evening.

The building to the right is the IQ student accommodation (Altus House).

The crane on the left is by St John’s Center on Merrion street.

Toal was Templar street car park.

7 Likes

Entry
Winter Sunrise over Cleethorpes pier

taken 0747 05.01.2023
Sea Road
Cleethorpes
DJI Mini3 Pro

8 Likes

A January sunrise over the River Clyde in Glasgow.
Taken 16/01/2023 @ 08:54am
Mavic 3 Classic

8 Likes

Not what I intended but done very little with the drone this month and only thing appropriate.

Great Central Railway Winter Steam Gala
Taken 27th Jan about 10:30 am
DJI Mini 3 Pro

5 Likes

@group-challenges

You have one vote to select the best picture that depicts January - congratulations to all who braved the cold and the weather to bring us these great images!

The poll will close on Thursday 2nd February at 22:00

February entries here please!

2 Likes

Thank you to all who entered, January isn’t the easiest month to illustrate via photography by drone; the very qualities that go to make up January are the same qualities that make flying difficult. So well done for all your efforts and a special thanks and congratulations to Chris Lambourne - @clinkadink - who you have judged to be the winner of this round of the GADC Pilots’ Calendar Competition!

@group-challenges

5 Likes

Yay! Thank you :star_struck: Lots of great entries :clap: It was a fun, but challenging month for sure :+1:

4 Likes

Stunning photo @clinkadink , also appreciate the details on how it was taken.

A worthy winner @clinkadink and a very hard vote to make due to the quality of entries. Well done all entrants :clap: :clap: