Gaussian Splats, or easy 3D modelling from drone shots

I had not heard of this either, until @bingbong alerted me to a post on another forum about the capabilities of Polycam on the web.

The web interface will take uploaded sequences of photos or video and convert it/them into an interactive 3D model. Go to My Captures | Polycam and click on Create Gaussiam Splat. You will need to create a free acoount.

I uploaded a Circle Quickshot I took on my Mini 3 Pro, a capture I made for this video, St John the Baptist church, Burford, Oxfordshire

The Circle is over 900MB so it takes a while to upload. You are advised the whole process might take 40 minutes. And back comes a link as above, and indeed here is another to show the results,

If you subscribe to PolyCam you can export the data in a format compatible with 3D modelling software and viewers.

There are other features as well, but I thought this easy to use and share.

Just as esy is the free 3D drone photogrammetry tool. From the same circle video …

Id never heard of this photogrammetry thing till an hour ago - just uploaded a tree orbit from last year to Polycam
Pretty Impressive for a 1st attempt I’d say :smiley:

My 2nd attempt at it …

Are you able to share the link to the interactive model itself, rather than the video clip of it spinning?

I’ve tried Photogrametry several times in the past using various bits of software with very limited success. I’d never heard of this one before but a quick trial in the garden using an iphone to take video rather than drone, and the results are amazingly good. Thanks very much for sharing the links.

I Gave it a go but the link didnt work for me.
Lower Field Building Site orbit - Download Free 3D Model on Polycam" title=“polycam capture viewer”

So put the Polycam app on my phone and the results are impressive from that same building site, please remember that this was just one Litchi orbit of a ‘timelapse’ video project Im still working on, & not something specifically made for polycam.

https://youtu.be/LGb1Mr2DQ9g?

Thanks - that first link worked for me in a browser on my iMac, and I saw the sort of things your video clip has as well. I just enjoy interacting with the results directly!

I find the Gaussian Splats give more realistic results, but a high resolution 3D display can be quite good as well. The advantage of the 3D model over the splat version is that Polycam lets you export a GLB file that can be read by other software. In my case that’s LeiaViewer on the 3D Luma 2 Pad, which has a glasses-free stereo display.

1 Like

Works on my laptop …

… but I don’t think my old phone knew what to do with it. :laughing:

Even my old Android phone got there …………… eventually …

And here’s another Gaussian splat from a Quickshot helix I did last year - Whiston church in Northamptonshire.

And my Gaussian splat around the same church we went to last August. 4K D-Log M from my Air 2S swiftly graded. The detail around the church is impressive.

I see there is an option to embed Polycam models in websites, a bit like Kuula enables it for 360s. Would this be simple to enable on this site?

1 Like

As @Howard wanted to try my Whiston Church video as a 3D model on his 3D tablet, I ran my video through the Polycam Photogrammetry Creator to the Raw format. It’s nothing like as detailed as the Gaussian Splat (I’m still amazed by these), but can be exported to various 3D formats.

With the expert assistance of @OzoneVibe we have explored the possibility of embedding interactive 3D models and Gaussian Splats from Polycam in much the same way that embedding Kuula 360 panoramas works.

When you have created a 3D model or splat at Polycam you get an option to Share via embedded code, but that doesn’t behave well inside Grey Arrows, instead an edited link in the form

<iframe src="https://poly.cam/capture/29f65484-8d2c-4ecd-9afe-93a7042cbad8" style="height:100%; width:100%;" width="640" height="640"></iframe>

where you substitute the long URL of your 3D model should do the trick.

For example,

• Left click in the picture and drag around the model to view it from different angles.
  • Right click and drag to move the picture around the axis of rotation.

Click on the ? symbol to reveal other navigational tips.

You may find the frame refreshes while you type and to remove this distraction click on << at the bottom of the screen to close the preview screen and click on >> to open it to check before posting.

I’m advised that posting a lot of models in one thread might cause things to slow down, but as ever choice of browser and speed of PC or Mac might be another factor.

Thanks again to Dave for making this happen! :clap:t2: :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Howard and Dave. Too late to edit my links above. Probably still worth posting the link too, as no obvious way of viewing it full screen. You can’t click the image to take you full screen as with Kuula.

An alternative is to click on the ellipsis (…) and select Share - that copies the link which can be pasted in a browser and viewed full screen at Polycam.

I doubt many people would get that far. I hadn’t, but useful to know.

My desktop W10 PC just refuses to display these splats - ive tried 4 browsers all giving me the same error screen. When I click on the bottom left polycam logo I get a static image that cant be manipulated.
Having said that - it all works great on my android phone.

It can take a while to load. They do on my laptop. They are rather resource hungry.

The lower one has loaded OK.