GEPRC Crocodile Baby Setup

Ignore everything I said
I assumed you were enquiring about the FC flashing
My bad :laughing::grinning::laughing::tired_face:

My data probe/test/connector thingies arrived today so I have no further excuse not to start messing with this to see if I can get it working.

I’m going to have to hack into the clear heat-shrink to get at those terminals.

I’ve also downloaded the “historic” XM+ firmware and loaded them onto the TX12 ready for flashing.

FrSkyFirmware

I have two questions:

1. Assuming I can attach my probes without removing the receiver, will it flash OK?
  2. Which firmware to use?

If I can do this without any dismantling/soldering I’ll be extremely happy.
And assuming I can manage that, I guess it won’t be too much of a bother to keep trying firmware until I find one that works.

1 Like

Hey Jez I found this which may help

Although I’m pretty sure being European you would need to select the LBT version rather than the FCC version

Thanks, Steve. That is pretty much what I’m doing, although having someone else’s opinion on which one worked is useful.

Unfortunately I’m finding the actual flashing hit and miss. Having had no luck after an hour of fannying about I’ve stormed off in a huff to watch Netflix and drink (low alcohol) beer. :laughing:

This FPV lark can be frustrating at times eh lol have you disconnected the RX from the Flight controller before flashing? Might make a difference?

No, I was trying to avoid that because I’m painfully aware of my soldering skills. But it’s probably going to be the next step.

I’ve also considered just buying one with the correct firmware, but as that also requires squinting, burnt fingers and melted wires, I may as well have a go myself first.

Binding successful! :smile:

In the end, all the broddling about with the probes broke one of the wires off, so it ended up coming out anyway.

The firmware that finally worked was the FCC I16 one.

I know it’s bound because the buzzer button works. Haven’t managed to arm it yet though, so it’s time for a session on BetaFlight.

Nice job Jez, you gotta be persistent in this game lol
I just purchased a TBS Mambo tonight so will probably be going through similar issues this weekend lol

One more junction along the Frustration Freeway. :slight_smile:

Although I’m pretty sure the binding has been successful and I’ve configured BetaFlight so the control schema is what I want (the little drone in the picture moves the way it should when I operate the controls), I can’t seem to arm the thing.

The starting point for my setup was the config from the Nanohawk. I have that set so that I hold down button D (AUX3 - which is also mapped to the Buzzer) and then put Switch E (AUX1) in the up (max) position to arm. This works fine on the Nano (although its buzzer doesn’t seem to work) but not on the Croc.

Here’s my modes.

Now, I think that this doesn’t have the button D safety addition to it, and…oh, wait…brain just engaging…that’s got the ARM activated in the down (min) position.

Let me go and try that. BRB

Nope. That wasn’t it. It just beeps at me when I put it into the ARM position.

In fact, it beeps an awful lot. I’ve seen that every single notification the buzzer can process is enabled, and I have a suspicion that if my Morse code went beyond S, O and E, I might have a clue what it was trying to tell me. As it stands, it’s just annoying.

Unfortunately I don’t really have time to get into it right now (thought it might be a quick fix), so I’ll have to come back to it later.

I will get this damn thing in the air! :laughing:

Edit: I’ve also noticed that, unlike the Nanohawk, I don’t get the “Telemetry lost” message when I power down the quad. Again, this might be another “school for the gifted” moment, but is that because I chose the “CH1-8 Telem OFF” binding option? :man_facepalming:

Keep it simple with an on / off switch and should work. Everything looks correct on betaflight

Just a note you only have so many channels usually 8 or 12 depending on your RX configuration. The first 4 are taken up by the sticks (throttle, pitch, roll and yaw) so if you’re in 8 channel mode you’ve only got 4 channels left to configure to aux modes. Check all your switches in the receiver tab flick the switches and check that the bars are moving.

Also from the description you wrote you’re missing the pre-arm mode. Also not sure why you’ve got failsafe setup as an aux mode? I’d remove that.

Add range for the pre-arm mode leave it on auto and flick your button D and it should set itself to correct aux mode for that switch :+1:t2:

Another note you need the drone powered up and connected to your radio while setting the aux modes the screen shot you posted looks like you’ve not got it powered up and connected to the radio.

The osd will tell you why it can’t arm. It maybe that there isn’t enough satellites? (You can disable this part)

1 Like

Didn’t notice the failsafe - scrap that.

Also @DeanoG60 you mentioned pre arm.

I don’t have that set up on any of my quads.

I just arm or disarm. Any reason why I should have a pre arm or is it just choice

1 Like

Just choice, stops you accidentally arming the quad if you accidentally bump the arm switch. Its essentially 2 button arming.

Got you. Thanks mate

1 Like

Thanks, chaps.

The answer to most questions of this nature would be : Because I don’t know what I’m doing and I’ve been to lazy to research it and just guessed. :wink:

I can relate to that haha

Have you made sure your throttle stick is fully down? That still catches me out sometimes lol

2 Likes

I have Pre Arm set on the same switch my buzzer is on. Then it beeps at you before you arm. Just a safety feature so you know if the Pre Arm is live :+1:t2:

2 Likes