Getting close with drone

Until the new regulations come into force (01 Jan 2021) - you are correct.
After that date, for a Mavic Mini 2, you will have to take the DMARES test and pay £9 to register.
Reason being - your drone has a camera, :+1:

1 Like

Now is the time to really start getting to know your neighbours. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or having 101 on speed dial

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Thanks

1 Like

:joy::joy:

So will the mavic Air 2 be class C1or C2? If it stays legacy its in the A2 if its given c2 still in a2 however if its C1 its in the A1 just no overlying people :+1:

Class C1 – (can be flown in all subcategories) Unmanned aircraft that:
• are either:
• less than 900g maximum take-off mass, or;
• are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human
head, the energy transmitted will be less than 80 Joules
• have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
• are designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people
The product standards also cover other aspects such as noise limits, height limits
and requirements for remote identification and geoawareness systems

So will it be c1 or c2 class drone? (See article that dji may be retro applying ce markings with H/W or Firmware updates) Hopefully c1 then ill never need to unbox my mini 2. (2021)

I wasn’t convinced by that article about retrospective C-classification - it seemed to be reading way too much into a DJI marketing blog post.

Assuming no retrospective marking, then it’s a legacy drone that can be flown in A2 for 2 years with A2 CofC, and A3 after that.

See here:

Just going back to the beginning about illegal videos :slight_smile: You were always (and still are) allowed to fly closer than 50m to structures or people IF they were “under your control” or rather if you had permission of the person, people or landowner (except mass gatherings of people or congested areas).

Its only people and things that you didnt have prior approval for that were limited to 50m (or 30m when taking off or landing!)

3 Likes

Mind you, I’ve purposely avoided the new regs until they got closer (incase they got scrapped) and I’m just reading up on them now ahead of next January!

I must say I find them rather MAD and hardly a simplification! They’re worse!

Just me?

1 Like

No, definitely not just you. I’m looking forward to seeing how the amended Drone Code tries to explain it all in a way that people can actually follow.

2 Likes

@kvetner but if they can get the Air 2 style drone in the c1 class drone it will be a tough one to beat. Maybe i’ve just described the mavic Air 3! :sweat_smile: think they need to get the mavic 3 pro below 900g being able to fly in A1 is a major win for drone operators

2 Likes

So on January 1st I can only fly my Mavic Mini out to 120m!!!? So the point of it having Ocusync was what now? :slight_smile:

Strange times!

No legally, you’ll be allow to fly out to 500m or VLOS if your eyesight allows it

1 Like

@Longstride 120m is height above ground level

1 Like

@Longstride

Extract from CAP 722

• Class C0 - (can be flown in all subcategories) Very small unmanned aircraft,

including toys, that:

• are less than 250g maximum take-off mass

• have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)

are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) above the take-off point

1 Like

Thanks! I misread that as “beyond” not above!

Phew!

1 Like

@Longstride No probs - only reason I know is because I’ve just done my A2 CofC and I’ve been up to my ears in new regs :open_mouth: :thinking: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

@Jhdee this is my problem, I PfCo’d couple of years ago and I CANNOT be arsed with learning these new regs! :rofl:

2 Likes

Does a person who goes to a toy shop and buys a cheap drone (no camera) have to take the test and register as well in Jan?