EASA and the UK!

Moved your post to this catch-all EASA thread … not that I’m promising …

… in the above, but it does keep everything in one place. :+1:

Is there a pinned post with the latest info?

No, but the CAA document linked in this previous comment gives the current state-of-play:

2 Likes

Link has changed, the current guidance is now at:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789%20Edition3%20June2020%20cor.pdf

1 Like

We support PDF uploads :slight_smile:

In case the link changes again, direct download from GADC:

CAP1789 Edition3 June2020 cor.pdf (865.8 KB)

1 Like

Here’s my attempt to explain which categories we’ll be able to fly our existing drones in from the end of the year (assuming changeover to EASA regs goes as planned). I’m happy to be told if I’ve got anything wrong, otherwise hopefully it’s of some use to somebody. I’ve just gone with a series of “popular brand” drones (not to scale!) but included the weight boundaries for anyone with other makes and models.

9 Likes

Thank you. very useful to many I am sure

Great diagram!

Are you taking requests for others?

Autel Evo 2 and the DJI Inspire 1.

Purely because more people here have an Inspire 1 than a 2, and more people have an Evo 2 than a 1.

Not for personal reasons, of course :grimacing:

1 Like

I’d be keen for someone to check it’s actually correct, but will update it when I get a chance!

Perhaps add what the classes actually mean for folks, especially around how close to buildings and people you can fly

2 Likes

I’ve got some ideas on that front :+1:t2:

2 Likes

To make it flexible for additional drone models, might be worth rotating through 90°, so that drones models are down the left?

1 Like

Sorry to be a PITA but the transistional class end date has changed:

Because the introduction of the new regulations has been postponed the transitional period for legacy aircraft (A1 and A2 Transitional Provisions) has been extended and will now run until 1st January 2023 instead of expiring on 1st July 2022, allowing for a full 2 year transition period.

1 Like

@macspite - the diagram already shows the amended date.

1 Like

Sorry, combination of lack of glasses and brain fade. Saw the 2023 on one document and 2022 on yours and reacted without realising 31/12/2022 and 01/01/2023 aren’t separated by a tremendous amount of time …

2 Likes

Ok, in response to @milkmanchris’s request, these two diagrams are my attempt to clarify the difference between where you can legally fly today with your drone (assuming no PfCO), and where you will be able to fly from next year using the same drone i.e. ignoring new C-marked drones as none are available to buy yet anyway. The diagrams should be read along with my previous post.

Again, I’m not certain I’ve interpreted the various rules correctly, so comments are welcome. The second diagram is based on the CAA’s CAP1789 June 2020, which itself “interprets” the actual EASA regulations, particularly with regard to a suggested 50m clearance to uninvolved people in the A3 category. I’ve left out some requirements e.g. not overflying crowds as that’s a fairly rare scenario. And hopefully VLOS goes without saying.

4 Likes

I had a query via private message but I’m copying it here (with permission) because it may help others and also to check whether I’m actually right or not!

Thanks for your post on this but I am still a bit confused by open.020. Am I reading it correctly that a sub 250g drone (legacy such as the Mini) can be used in a residential or commercial area without application to the CAA to do so?

I believe this is correct, so long as you believe the CAA’s interpretation of the EASA regs.

See CAP1789:

On page 48 of that PDF, it indicates that subcategory A3 is the only one where you are prohibited from flying in residential/commercial areas. Subcategory A1 allows flight close to people (and over them depending on the UAS class). Legacy (placed on market before 1 Jan 23) drones of <250g ‘flying weight’ are shown to fall within this subcategory, with no operating date limitations.

So yes, Mavic Minis can fly in towns, near people, without any competency test (from next year). It’s amazing!

Obviously, the standard rule of flying safely and not endangering anyone still applies.

The CAA are relying on two things:

• See page 25 of the PDF, where it summarises Article 20 of the EASA Implementing Regulations: legacy UAS may be used “indefinitely in the Open category” if less than 250g within the subcategory A1 (fly over people).
  • See page 8 of the PDF, where it clarifies that the UK will treat weight limits for legacy aircraft as being about ‘flying weight’ rather than Maximum Take Off Mass (for the Mini, the MTOM will be >250g because it can fly with prop guards)

Now here is the really amazing bit: that relaxation to use ‘flying weight’ rather than MTOM only applies to legacy drones. If you buy a Mini in a couple of years time, in theory it should be C1-class rather than C0-class because the MTOM >250g. You can’t fly it over uninvolved persons and a basic competency test will be required.

Can anyone else confirm if I have interpreted this all correctly?

1 Like

That’s my understanding too and the reason I’ve recently purchased a Mavic Mini.
When the regs change you’ll have to register as its camera equipped and the only apparent restriction is that you should not fly over crowds :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

This appeared when renewing license. Anyone know what the new regulations will be?

Lots of info in this thread @Duggy, good luck trying to make any sense of it

4 Likes