Glencoe - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

The iconoic Glencoe, starting with the small falls at the bottom end of the valley on the River Coe…

Plenty of places to park in Glencoe, free car parks at Loch Atriochtan, 3 Sisters and the Pass of Glencoe falls, plus other smaller ones.

Gets extremely busy, so plan to arrive early, especially in good weather.

Such a large subject with so many individual highlights it is almost impossible to do justice. The video starts with footage from the River Coe at the lower end, reveals Loch Achtriochtan an the famous white cottage before ascending to view the waterfalls behind - flying up as the land rises allows me to fly the drone higher than 400ftabove me as I am still less than 400ft above the land.

Then a pano of the cloud covered peaks, and a flight up the valleys of the 3 sisters…

Not entirely happy with the footage, but it was the best I could do on the day…

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 29/04/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

Depends on where you TOAL from Suzanne, a huge part of Glencoe is owned by National Trust Scotland.

I was taking off at the roadside, so didnt think of the NT ownership, but take your point…

Admin, can we change the landowner permission to unknown please?

1 Like

99.9% of the time you’d be fine and no-one bothers you. I’ve only been approached once by a member of NTS staff who were on their way to work in the visitor centre. Here is a map of the NTS boundary.

and a thread were it was discussed before - Glencoe and the Scottish national trust

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks… Then the TOAL location I used on this one was fine, being outside the NT land, but another forthcoming bit of footage is from the 3 sisters overflow car park, and some from the waterfall car parking near the top of the pass, so do I add them to the map, or not? Hmm, both sites appear to be outside the NT land, just, so I should be ok…

The Three Sisters car park is in the middle of the glen, NTS own the land both the north and south sides of the A82 road. Whether the car park is Highland council property rather than NTS I’m not sure. I tend to fly from the point I’ve marked with an arrow and on the old military road on the north of the glen east of the Meeting of the Three Waters which is just outside the NTS boundary.

1 Like