Good drone news

8 Likes

Goodness!!

The people/tech being used …

6 Likes

Just going to tag this into the bottom of here…

4 Likes

A bit of good PR for drones, for a change …

10 Likes

This is such a great (real life) story and practical application that will save lives and time/risk. Lets hope it is more widely adopted!

We need more stories like this in the press :+1:

2 Likes

Reported on the BBC that police in Boston, Lincolnshire have used a drone with thermal imaging to find a girl who dialled 999 after being raped. They found the victim and also arrested a 30 year old that the drone also spotted. Obviously the rape is not a good thing but using the drone certainly shows what a useful tool it can be.

5 Likes

Indeed it does :+1:

Full article:

Although it was a terrible thing to have happened to a young girl,

It does make a nice change for drones to get good press…

Great news that the police are arming themselves with drones to tackle crime, search and rescue is a great way to cover sizeable ground in a short time. Park rangers in Canada have been using them for ages.

8 Likes

It’s nice to hear good news about UAVs.

1 Like

Excellent coverage and, as you say, something positive for a change.

1 Like

This is what we like!

I’ll bet the pilot was a bit nervous!

8 Likes

Very similar to …

2 Likes

I’ll bet you never saw this one coming! A fairly obvious use for a drone if you think about it, especially with a thermal camera.

1 Like

Don’t most incidents of ships in distress at sea happen in bad weather!? Wonder how useful a drone would in such winds and not in visual line of sight…

2 Likes

They’ve been using them in this way in one, or both (I forget), of the Channel Islands for a couple of years.

I love the "Drones will not replace our helicopters … ".
Winching up a sodden wet adult with a drone is an unlikely prospect.

2 Likes

That’s good. Hadn’t seen that.

1 Like