Greetings from Hertfordshire - dubious footage?

Hello fellow droners!

Thanks for reaching out PingSpike - didn’t know UK specific Drone forum’s existed!

Quick intros
Been into drones of all shapes and sizes for about a decade but was flying / driving other RC units since I was about 10 when I discovered that the 1986 Red Hopper RC Car had both limited range and was not waterproof when I lost range control and drove it into a swimming pool… Hooked ever since!

Recently upgraded to a M2P and have experienced a massive jump from “flying drones that happen to have a camera” to “flying an excellent camera that happens to fly”.

I’ve found this transition interesting as it’s forced me to come to grips with UK legislation and good practice for flying 1kg objects at over 100m. Needless to say, the first couple of weeks saw some very dubious flying (and footage) whilst I tested range (at over 2 miles), flying through Durdles Door and even had to get in touch with the Air Traffic Control tower at RAF Northolt to get permission to fly within their ATZ (I was asked to film a kids football match in Ruislip).

Although I’ve always been safety conscious (and never fly over people etc.) I’m a lot more weary as there’s a very mixed relationship with the general public and the media are often fuelling needless hate.

I’ll keep watching the posts as I’m keen to get engaged in debates and discussion that could help promote this wonderful past time. Some fully sanctioned footage of a friend’s house literally brought tears of joy to their family back in South Africa as they had never seen where they lived before! Not many hobbies can invoke such an emotional response!
Happy flying all!

5 Likes

Welcome to Grey Arrows @anon52324101 - glad you could join us mate :+1:t2:

Welcome to the best drone forum around :+1:

Hi @anon52324101 and welcome to GADC. :+1:

There’s an ever increasing number of members that own an M2P, so if you have any questions ask away over on #questions-and-answers and someone with the relevant knowledge will be happy to offer advice.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the wood, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Welcome Lozzer.