Greetings from Otley, West/North Yorkshire

Hello All

I’ve been building and flying multirotor drones since late 2012 after I was forced to give up working due to a degenerative illness. Like many around that time I started with the ubiquitous Phantom 1 but due to my geek gene I started building shortly afterward starting with a DJI F550 hex, which I loaded with FPV, GoPro/Gimbal, and the DJI Datalink Ground Station.

To date I have around 60 of what I would term as hobby/consumer drones, some self built, some off the shelf from the likes of DJI, Yuneec, Blade, Parrot, Immersionrc, and some flybynight Chinese clones. All but three of the OTS models I purchased as spares or repairs, mainly from the Bay but also swap meets and various other classifieds. I have a career background in electronics so I really enjoy the technical challenge of resurrecting something a previous owner or repair shop have deemed beyond hope.

I have been a member of a BMFA flying club local to me since 2014 but the majority of the members consider anything with more than one prop to be the work of the Devil, so I mainly fly electric fixed wing sport and aerobatic, and occasional heli action with a Trex 500 fitted with a Hughes 500e fuselage.

I would rate my flying abilities as being low to moderate and my video/photo skills even less. I have mobility issues :violin:, live within earshot of an airport, and receive the evil Paddington Bear stare at the flying club when I spin up three or more props, so many of my robot minions have not seen the face of battle in earnest other than pedestrian flights around my property.

Other than that I’m 53, married, and have a cat that plans to kill me in my sleep.

Regards

Nidge.

7 Likes

Welcome to the group.
I’m 60 with a wife who plots to kill me in my sleep.

3 Likes

Welcome Nidge
Used to live in Otley, over In Halifax now.
Still visit Burley in Wharfedale and Ilkley regularly, lovely area, but a bit restrictive for flying with Leeds Bradford Airport on top of the hill.
I tend to go up on Ilkley Moor for a fly, I just keep away from the crowds.
Will drop you a private message next time I am coming over, weather permitting, if you fancy a fly round.

1 Like

And a bite to eat ;o)

1 Like

Welcome to the group, i’m in leeds so not too far.

If ya do meet @mickydd please please take food, he gets real grumpy, he’s a grumpy tw@ anyways :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi @Nidge, and welcome to GADC. :+1:

“Too many to list”? Oh - go on! :wink: You would definitely be eligible for the Fleet Operator Badge. LOL!

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom I’m sure will come and say Hi.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forum’s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesn’t turn up what you’re after, there’s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Welcome Nidge,
It’s a brill & diverse forum.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you every one for the very warm welcome to the forum.

@mickydd: Thank you for the invitation. One of my first flights when I started with a Phantom 1 was at the Cow and Calf. I flew with a GoPro hard mounted to the airframe and as expected the resultant video was very shaky and awash with jello.

Flying around Otley isn’t too restrictive, more so lately with the recent changes to the various designated airspace’s, with the caveat that you’re not flying a DJI product as DJI still haven’t got their databases sorted out. I still can’t operate my Datalink system within seven miles of LBA’s perimeter.

@OzoneVibe: I’ve tried to catalogue my collection but I got to 45 and lost the will to live. I think I might have a hoarder mentality, or illness.

Again, thank you everyone.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Hi Nidge, from another newbie, this ones over in East Yorkshire, so give me a shout next time you’re popping over to the coast for your fish and chip!

2 Likes