Groundless prohibition rules (and a nice evening flight around Stonehenge)

In all of this, just be aware that dogs often run at drones when they fire up and can cut their snout or eyes and be seriously injured. So irrespective of who’s right or wrong, never start the props with a loose dog around. It will cause so much more trouble than you need…
(Many of you will have seen how crazy Ted gets on my videos…:paw_prints::paw_prints:)
Cheers
Ian

2 Likes

Indeed my sisters dog goes mental when I play around with the tiny whoop (sub 40g micro quad) indoors.

Thankfully the dog is daft as a brush and wouldn’t know what to do with it if she ever did catch it.

I must have a clever dog, she won’t go near it when the props are on, but will try and sniff it without props even when the motors are spinning.

1 Like

That answers a wee question I had around flying off the Crags in Edinburgh . Take off height would be 137m

Looking at that, from the top of the grag you can go 400m up but as you move to the left as we look at the picture you would have to descend so the when you are above the road you are 400m above the road.

3 Likes

I wish I could go 400m up!!! :grin::wink:

1 Like

SteveSB meant feet not metres :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol I hope so :sweat_smile::wink:

I dont think that’s right, I thought it was 400ft from where you stand , so if in a valley its 400ft from the valley bottom, if you want to fly 400ft above the highest point of the valley you need to be standing there , same as you cant fly down into a valley

Apologies I didnt see the above image ref this till now

Yes I’d did mean 400ft.

Its 400ft from the surface, where you stand is irrelevant as long as you have VLOS.

You could fly down into a steep valley as long as you remain 400ft from surface of earth which can be the valley sides rather than the bottom.

1 Like

I agree with you Callum
That is my understanding, a max of 400’ agl.
How many times have we all seen this and it still causes conversation

1 Like

It absolutely is relevant to the drone’s altitude wherever it’s flying as per the diagram, not from the takeoff point.

As the CAA once confirmed to me, “imagine the drone has a 400 ft piece of string dangling, then that string must never leave the ground…”.

Ian

5 Likes

Do you have a link to where I can buy the string and is there a recommended weight to put on the end ( I take it, it will be the end nearest the ground)? :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

CAA regulations state you can’t attach a payload…:smiley:

1 Like

You cant fly down Into a valley from the top , its 400ft from where you stand on the ground, above you not below you

What makes you think that?

CAA states,

you must not fly more than 400ft above the surface. If flying over hilly/undulating terrain or close to a cliff edge, this may be interpreted as being a requirement to remain within a distance of 400ft from the surface of the earth.

Nothing to stop you flying down into a valley as long as your 400ft from surface and within VLOS.

Sorry I’m new to this. What is ANO?

Stuart
I disagree,
I specifically asked this question on my PfCO.
It is as per the diagram and as @callum and @ianinlondon have explained
I like the 400’ piece of string idea :bulb: not literally though

1 Like