GVC worth it?

If you’ve got the spare cash and you might use it, go for it. It’s no harder than the A2CoC, there’s 40 questions instead of 30, but the system is the same. I got 100% in the exam, no problem, took me about 15 minutes. Just got to find the time to do the practical, (just watch the video in the pack, no problem), then do the Ops Manual (all done in the course as pro formas), pay the CAA their wodge, and Roberts you cousin’s father!

2 Likes

I have a GVC, work paid, to keep it valid for commercial stuff I have to fly 2 hours every 3 months, rolling. But that doesn’t have to be commercial flight time, so long as I keep a flight log.

Hope it helps

2 Likes

Hi,

In addition to the flying hours requirement I suspect there are ongoing costs as well. Can you give an outline as to what the ongoing costs are for maintains a valid GVC?

The low cost of the course makes it tempting but I don’t understand what other costs there might be!

1 Like

I will have a read of my training manual later when I’m home and check this out for you, as I can’t remember if it’s a 3 or 5 year retest period.
Obviously you have the yearly cost to the CAA for the operational authorisation too.
I’ll post costs on here later.

2 Likes

So questions:

If I do the GVC I assume to be able to “use” it to get permission to fly in say a park or in restricted airspace I would need to have the OA element to do so?

If I got the GVC is there a time limit from completion and applying for OA? As long as I maintain the other requirements?

Have you seen how much the councils, NT, and other land owners and managers charge for a commercial drone flight?

You might want to factor those costs in to your decision making process.

This is true, I was thinking more for restricted air space like frz’s.

I get the organisations do charge for filming but that isn’t always the case. I guess I am just trying add some training and knowledge by having a qualification and slightly more legitimacy.

1 Like

That would be very helpful thank you.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the GVC alone just says you’ve been assessed and passed a course (much like the certificate I got after passing my PfCO) . To actually do anything you need an OA. This is where the ops manual and insurance cover note come in.

My advice on the ops manual is not to do a “drag and drop” manual builder. This is your document and it’s you that will be held accountable for flying as it’s written. Remember, the CAA will charge you £124 should you get it wrong, so be sure it’s right before submitting

Insurance wise, a cover note is easy enough to get for free. Just sign up to Flock or similar and they will issue one.

I had a PfCO and considered doing a GVC conversion but ultimately decided the A2COFC let me do pretty much all I wanted. I felt I’d been well trained on the PfCO course - probably better than the GVC as it was a 3 day residential - so wouldn’t get anymore from the GVC over the A2COFC.

I don’t think you can ever be over trained in UAV though, so if you feel it would make you a safer pilot you should do it. It won’t make you a better pilot on its own, that’s down to stick time.

Hi Guys
As Promised here’s a break down:

GVC cost (cost of training taken from Heliguy – I have no links or affiliates with them, I have never used them so cannot give any opinion on them)

Operator ID £9/yr

A2 CofC £250

GVC £750 (validity 5 years then need a refresher course - I don’t know how much a refresher course would be)

Writing of Ops Manual – there are many templates you can download, but you will need to be able to make these your own else they will be rejected by the CAA, or you can pay to have it written for you.

If the Ops Manual is rejected then there may be a fee of £124

CAA OA initial registration £253

OA Renewal apx £180 ( Ihaven’t managed to find the exact price, but this is what I remember it roughly being)

Insurance. You can use flock and pay for individual flights or get a monthly / yearly license, I’m going to assume a yearly license appx £250 dependant on many factors!!

Cost over 5 years assuming you write your own ops manual and it isn’t rejected:

Training £1000

OP ID 5 x £9 = £45

OA from CAA 1 x £253 + 4 x £180 = £973

Insurance 5 x £250 = £1250

Total = £3268

Average Yearly cost = £653.60

4 Likes

I’ve got my A2 C of C but just got a notification of a great deal on the GVC training course. What will the GVC allow me to do that the A2 won’t?

I like training, it keeps everything fresh and gives an extra level of confidence. I will check with UAV Hub but do you have to travel somewhere to do the practical?

Is there much outlay in terms of extra kit required?

I know I can find out all the answers but it’s useful to discuss with so many experienced flyers here.

Thanks.

My cost breakdown (so far)
Operator ID/Flyer number £9
A2CofC (UAVHub) £99
GVC (UAVHub) £299
Ops Manual, supplied by UAVHub as part of course.
CAA initial registration £253
Can’t remember the precise cost of yearly renewal but we’ll go with £180
Insurance from CoverDrone quoted about £50 for a month for 6 drones (Air 2 up to Inspire 1 Pro) but I’ll say a tenner a month for what I’ll probably be using so…
Total cost for 5 years =£2016
Average yearly £403.20

2 Likes

There’s a test centre in Oxfordshire (Benson), one in Staffs (just outside Newcastle under Lyme), and one in Scotland somewhere, just pick the one nearest. The one in Benson is in the RAF Benson NFZ so you’ll need to get authorisation from the ATC (letter to apply with is included in UAVHub course, and get your drone unlocked (if DJI).

1 Like

Thanks John. That’ll be the one I need.

Hi, I’ve just completed my A2 cofc with UAV hub ( pass 100% yeah ) £99 including drone masterclass which is useful for a beginner but they have now sent me an offer for an offer (limited period) for a GVC course for £149

1 Like

Thanks for this just purchased this :blush:

@ResilienceUAV Thanks for this just purchased this
Great, hope they honour it , offer states for previous A2 cofc customers but they should question that at time of purchase not afterwards , I doubt the discount code is exclusive to me , I like to see people get a bargain, probably revoke my A2 cofc certificate especially since I said it looked like something I had knocked up on the computer in a recent review

Haha well it’s in my “student dashboard” so far so good.

Of course (see what I did there?:grin:) they will honour it.

This course is obviously not selling, that is why it is on “special” price.

£149 is £149

Period

1 Like

I did the A2 C of C with them and I just got the code. That was the reason for posting here, still can’t decide whether I need it or not.