Has anyone rewound a Motor

Just been watching a few YT vids and really fancy having a go at doing the above, has anyone had a go and how did it go ???.

I have loads of motors which have burnt out just sat in a box so it would be great to get them up and running, not sure where you’d get the double insulated wire from though ??.

I did used to years ago when I couldn’t get the right motor-motors after burning out. It’s not cheaper than buying a new motor nowadays but it’s something that once you’ve done it does leave you with a sense of achievement.

All my motors never sounded the same as the machine wound ones and they all sounded different to each other but still worked. I think I may still have one somewhere in the workshop.

Go for it while the rain and wind is keeping you in and good luck if you decide to go ahead…

What makes you say that as surely your just paying for wire???

It’s because I factored in my time for each motor but that was then, now though I’d hazard a guess that the reel of copper wire might be more expensive than to buy a single motor.

I’m not trying to put you off, go for it as it’d be a great wee project to post on here and may encourage others to follow.

I’m maybe too long in the tooth now to do it anymore… :thinking:

1 Like

Lol …… your never to old to learn something new, having a quick look I think you can get the wire for about 15 nicker for a decent 2207 motor your looking at 15 to 20 not sure but I reckon you could get 3 motors out of a roll ??

It is something I have done, but not recently. To be really honest, I am glad I did it, but I wouldn’t be in a stampede to do it again. As my Dad would say “it is like peeing yourself in a a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling, but no-one really notices”. I have rewound a car alternator to make a wind powered generator, that was a similar feeling too.
If you have the time, patience and facilities give it a go. You never know, you too could have that dark suit experience.

Needs good vision (or very good reading glasses) or magnifying headset.

When you disassemble the old motor, make careful notes and diagrams of connections AND the direction (CW/CCW) in which the wire goes around each pole of the armature. Count the number of turns and carefully measure the wire diameter.

To avoid vibration, windings must be of equal weight and balanced, so careful measurement of wire length, and maintaining even winding distribution, is vital.

Useful book: “Electric Motors” Workshop Practice Series no. 16, currently going on Ebay for £2.67.

2 Likes